Eraserheads reunion concert 2008 - closing note and blog post aftermath


here's a video of "With a smile" taken by my sister using her cellphone

This will be my final post for the blog coverage of the concert and I guess its time to go back to normal and continue my other blog post.

After our cosplay fashion show in Megamall, me and Mark went out to get a cab, but most of the the taxi drivers are avoiding the Global city route, so instead of lining up at the taxi bay, I tried my plan on taking the bus and walk all the way from Kalayaan up to the Global city.

and yes, we were on the right track, after getting a full stop at EDSA-Kalayaan,we braved ourselves in crossing the EDSA highway, because it is a lot better to do that than taking off in Buendia MRT and take a bus ride again just to go back to the other side. We know that crossing the street in EDSA is not right, we hide ourselves away from the MMDA and police traffic enforcers, we avoid buses, taxis, vehicles, trucks and then we went under the flyover and cross the highway again. Then we landed in Kalayaan in no sweat. ( Read more stories below)

The big pain is to walk all the way from Kalayaan up to that right turn way to Global City. Upon arriving there, we just took a short break and landed in a convenience store, I told Mark that we should buy some food and drinks and eat it while walking, I bought 2 sandwich and I took this energy drink with me, and then Mark bought one sandwich, drink and a big Granny Goose chips.
then we walk out of the store and after passing the Chowking, we spotted this Fort Bus loading some passengers, we ran towards it and then we stopped and proceed to line up behind the boarding passengers, I asked a young lady if the bus will go to the concert ground or near it, but the lady said that she is not sure, but she will go first to Market Market to meet her friends, and said that they will watch the concert too, so I got noisy inside the bus because of the excitement, and I got crazy during the time we saw those spotlights at the night sky during our walkathon from EDSA to Global City, then I asked the bus driver for directions and he said that the bus will cross near Boni High and we will be taken there, so after a long ride, I decided to eat my sandwich, I sat down to this "estribo" with elevated foot stand, and then proceeded to recharge my energy, Mark in standing mode carries his bag full of stuff and a plastic bag with box of new shoes he scored at the Adidas Clearance sale in Megamall, I told him .. that in all of times, why buy a new shoes and that box will cause some obstruction only in our place at the concert ground. But he told me that he needs a new shoes and got no choice just to buy one.

He even asked me if the concert ground is muddy, and I said, yeah! it will be muddy if it rains, so don't get the idea of wearing that new shoe. Then the bus stop and we jump out of it, and I think 5 more people followed us and then we landed in Boni High and we saw already a large number of people walking to the venue, I can hear music and lots of spotlights dancing in the sky. We just passed the Boni High St. and saw some punk rockers strolling around, skate boarders playing, and other class A people hanging out waiting for their friends.

I sat on the sidewalk before going in line, I changed my shirt and wear my Pinoy Blogger shirt, I just loved to wear that, just to let everyone know that I blog, and I blogged this event in my blog site. I was suppose to wear this Eheads shirt that Mark bought for me, he got it in Happy Days at Robinsons Galeria, but I decided to wear that shirt whenever I'm inside the venue.

so lined up and search for the VIP entrance, the lines on the right gate is so disorganized, the line of the VIP and Patron got mixed up, so we got a 15 min. standing position waiting and observed, then we heard the guard said that the VIP line in the left gate is very organized and easy to access, and because many people didn't believe on it, no one dare to move and fall out of their line, but me and Mark trusted the advice of the bouncers and guards, so we decided to boot out and walk on the other side of the venue.

We just passed half of the venue and saw the backstage area, there at the darky place of the backstage, I saw a man wearing the guitar strap and the guitar, he was wearing this white coat and I think of that it maybe some other band trying to warm up, but I didn't know that the guy was Ely Buendia or maybe Buddy Zabala.

Upon reaching the left side, we saw the line already of the VIP, and yes, it is much organized. I posted all my adventures in my plurk.com site and then texted my sister and friends and told them that they should line up on the left side because it is much organized. The line is fine and we got there inside. But we need to pass the first security check up.

we just found out that food is not allowed inside, so before we enter I placed my sandwich under my jacket and then cover my digital camera with my jacket and zipped it locked. Then we discovered that pointed objects like ballpens, metallic belts, spike stuff, umbrella are not allowed inside, then any item that is liquid are not allowed, so all water, cokes, and even perfume were confiscated and left all in one box near the check point, I saw a lot of perfume and bottled water left in this box.

then I hurry myself and I was near the gate already, then I need to pass another security check up, so to make me enter and not having some trouble, because I have a food in my bag and a camera that might be mistaken as an DSLR, because it looks like one, I smiled at the bouncer and make jokes on him, I laughed and said that I don't have any food with me, I don't have any ballpens, then he saw my umbrella, and I asked if it is okay, and he allow it because it is a folding umbrella, then I told him thats my jacket and I brought it with me just incase if we encounter a bad weather, then he saw my battery charger and I was afraid that it might confiscated, but then I told him that it is brand new and I just bought it earlier, and he saw it sealed and unopened. Then I was clear and the bouncer smiled at me and said "ok you are clear, you may proceed".

then I encountered another check point and the girl is holding this UV ray light device, and she stared at my wrist and said if I got already the ticket, and then I told her that I haven't got a ticket because I'm on the VIP list, then the girl pointed a long line on the other side and said that I should go there first at the registration to verify my name and get that VIP pass. I went nuts on it and I look behind me and Mark was nowhere to be found, so I went there and saw Bianca Gonzales lining up for her pass, and then met some friends from Star Wars Philippines. Then I saw Mark lining up, we argued a little and said that I left him at the 1st check point, and he got mad at those bouncers because his junk food and sandwich were confiscated. Then met some friends in the industry lining up too. Then at the registration, we showed our ID and waited for a few seconds til they verified our ID to the VIP list and then we got the pass in our wrist.

Then we went back to the 2nd check point, but the bouncer told me earlier to go back at him after we got our VIP pass so that he no longer need to check our stuff, but returning back to him, made him check again our bags, after that the UV ray guy, then another security check up and it was the last one, I got scared because he might see my mp3 recorder, but I am confident that they will not recognize it because it is an mp3 player, how many bouncer knows that it can record audio, then the bouncer guy opened my bag's pocket, I got afraid that he might find something, and he just asked me if I carry any ballpens, and then I said to him that I don't have any ballpens with me, because I know it is prohibited, but then I got afraid because I have this pen with gold plating that is kept in the sleeve of my wallet, but then I got cleared and entered the concert venue.

Then I saw Mark taking too much time at the check point because he carry a lot of stuff and items, then at the final check point, he got inspected by two bouncers, I went back at him and made a joke to those two bouncers, I need to distract them because Mark carries a digital camera and I know he got a lot of ballpens inside that bag. Then I joke that Mark should give the box of new shoes to the bouncer because people with new shoes are not allowed, then the bouncers bite at the joke and then Mark was cleared.

whew! it was big team work. Then we went to the crowded area and we got into the best place of the area, it was higher at the middle of the VIP ground and the people near the barricade are much more lower.After doing some test shots of camera, I just kept it for awhile because there are some bouncers roaming the area. Mark left and bought some food for him, then I just remembered that I still have this sandwich inside my bag, so I gave it to him and let him buy his beverage.

then the lights went out..we saw this big giant countdown clock, from 20 minutes the clock will expire to zero. The crowd went wild as the counter expires to zero, after reaching it to zero, the lights went out and the crowd were going crazy, the Eheads hype is here and much more stronger. Then the monitor showed a lot of collage of photos of Eheads during their yesteryears. And then a big bass line of Alapaap aired the whole venue.

Everyone sang with Ely Buendia, and I laughed at first when I saw Raymund Marasigan wearing this long hair wig, and I think he tries to imitate his long hair days, and do a lot of headbangs when he hit the drums, then Marcus was steady and busy on the guitars and then Buddy is in white coat same as Ely and Buddy went on striking the bass strings.

The fireworks went up and covered the whole stage, the people shout "wow" together and everyone just look up the sky, others were busy taking photos and videos, and during the concert all I can see below are hands on the air waving and lots of digital gadgets floating as I can see a light up LED screen of that device.

I manage to take a few shots, study the lighting, get a good shot and position myself, then I turned on the recorder and strap it in my belt, and then I placed my bag in my front just to cover my voice if ever I got carried away and sang hahhahaa, and then used my bag in my front to act as my tripod, just to make me steady and get a good shot using my ultra zoom lens.

then I got everything.... photos and some videos. , but the photos are lovely.

Then some songs, I noticed that Ely Buendia is not on the mood to sing, and yeah we all know that, some part of the song are just not that serious, and for me its okay, and everyone knows that he is still in an emotional stress after the death of his mom 2 days ago before the concert. We saw Marcus smiling to the crowd, wearing this big shades and his signature red stripe polo shirt, then the most funny thing about Raymund is that he removed the wig and smiled at the people, he enjoy the concert more, he stand up on his chair, go with the flow of the cheer and threw some drum sticks to the crowd as souvenir hahhaha.

then on some songs, Ely got back his energy and now he enjoys it. And then I think he got carried away when he sings "With a smile" I just zoomed on his face and at the last word of the song, he just bow his head and became quiet. And then at the song "shake yer head", he vigorously shook his head and then the shades he is wearing got loose and fell on the ground, but then he sang the song without the shades there we saw his face and eyes. Looks normal, but we can notice the pain inside and the emotion by hearing his voice.

And then he took off and went back on stage changing his guitar, and other band members went back dealing with their own production staff and assist them in wearing the guitar strap.


Light years, video from http://www.youtube.com/user/louiejabanag
during the last song "Light Years", I just noticed that something is wrong already, I know that he might get carried away by the song or something, when I got busy and before I retire taking photos, I zoomed again and saw the facial reaction that hmmm he might be crying or stressed. Then after the song, he almost lost his balance and handed the guitar to his PA. then the whole band left the stage.

then a big 20 minute counter showed up on the stage and we just discovered that it was a break time call for the band to rest.

during the break, we met some friends who were standing nearby, I took some photos of celebrities, while Mark went back on the food store to buy us some food and drinks, while chatting with friends we just heard this big announcement.


the big announcement, video from http://www.youtube.com/user/diwadm

The light went on and all the band members were on stage without Ely, and the we saw this girl standing beside Buddy, at first my guess was I think we will be having a short prayer for Ely's mom, but then the girl introduced herself as Ely's sister and they announced that Ely was rushed to the hospital minutes ago and suffered some chest pains and trouble breathing. The crowd was worried and then everyone stopped and take a moment of silence to pray for Ely's condition, and after that, the organizers of the concert and the band members apologizes to us that the concert will end there and we just expected some emergency that needed much attention. We were shocked and look at each of the peoples faces, then we were asked to leave the area and then we left...

we texted our friends for an assembly at the Krispy Kreme in Boni High and got lucky that we got a seat there. I borrowed RG's laptop and noticed that everyone is following my Plurk updates in my plurk page and also in my blog, and then I posted a photo of the concert and an announcement about the incident, everyone can't believe on the news on TV, I received a lot of text messages if it was true, then everyone was shocked when they got confirmation from me in my blog with photos from the concert and the end of announcemet of the cancellation of the 2nd set.


the Saguijo gig for the 2nd set, the night after the concert

then everyone waited.till we heard the news today that Ely was okay and just got into a heart surgery, glad that he is now fine. Now we hear news that Raymund promised for a part 2 of the concert, but for Ely's condition I think we should wait for another year for that to happened. I just heard about the 2nd set gig in Saguijo, but for me it was not right... but they did a good job in cheering up the people. and then it happens....

oh wow.. this is biggest and memorable and dramatic music event in the history of the Philippines and I'm glad that I was there and now I can share this piece to my kids and future grand childrens.

thanks everyone for supporting my blog by watching all the updates and news here.

the Eraserheads reunion concert finally ends here..

thanks to much to Eheads for making us happy again. and special thanks to Marcus for that VIP list, all of you will be remembered forever, and we love you! long live Eheads!


The tv news about the concert, video from http://www.youtube.com/user/opoyman


latest news on Ely, video from http://www.youtube.com/user/tecknowledgecenter





Post a Comment

7 Comments

JayDJ said…
comprehensive ha ! pati ang tactics nyo to get to the venue and bypass security ! hehehehe!

we wanted you guys sana to come over to our place kasi masmalapit. kaya lang siksikan na talaga kami. di rin ako makapunta sa inyo para bumati kasi mawawalan kami ng pwesto naman.

tama ka, dramatic concert ever.... from the time na everything about the concert was speculation, how to score tickets, if it would push through, turnover of organizer, 3 day selling period, loss of Ely's mom and everything else, not to mention they're probably just the best filipino rock band ever.

i hope ely gets well soon. pero i wouldn't mind kung matatagalan pa ang part 2. as long as ely has recuperated and kakayanin.

we all love eheads... so ely's health is just as important.

Great coverage Azrael !
thanks jay!

talaga no way out na kame sa pwesto namin nun..yung iba nga nagaaway lang dahil sa kapiraso pwesto hahhaha

grabe talaga ito event na ito, at di ako nagsisi sa pag blog coverage ng eheads.

alam ko matagal pa ang part2. para sa akin..mag TV live na lang sila sa studio.at sa tv na lang ako manonood..

tnx tnx!
Unknown said…
any chance this concert would go out on dvd? i want to see this =[
JayDJ said…
@denver. yes, sonybmg will be realeasing a dvd of the concert...for all of us to experience and reexperience the concert :)
omg!! DVD ng concert!
astig naman nun..

sana pati mga official music videos..isama na nila sa DVD
Jwest said…
hi.. been reading your blogs regarding the concert, and i've been enjoying your posts and updates. the concert was really a once in a lifetime and unbelievable experience.

hey, just a constructive criticism pare, i'm not an expert or anything but, brush up on your grammar, para magimprove pa yung blogs mo. i'm sure mas magiging maganda mga posts mo.

thank you for the whole concert coverage.

peace.
thanks jery

i admit, I have some problems in writing the content in my blog..i dont have time kasi to proof read it and check for grammar errors..

i just wrote this on the fly and post it right away hahahaha.

tnx for the concern and hope you drop by again here.