Star Trek movie premiere in IMAX - my movie review

The image “http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2712/1/16/7774903715/n7774903715_1664591_3349413.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
I just came out fresh from a star ship ride in IMAX in SM Mall of Asia. I almost arrived late and my eyes caught a big space war between humans and an alien race. I just saw a new beginning, a tale of different worlds that happens on different time and space. The space is vast and the sound of exploding stars and sun remain silent. But in the depth of the blankness of space is someone waiting to decide the fate of both universe.

Its just not your ordinary space adventure, but more than that a sci fi movie. Star Trek or shall I say Star Trek: rebooth or Star Trek XI to some fans, is a remake of the original tv series, I was exposed to the old series during my high school years, and because that I'm a born Star Wars fans, It took me more than 10 years to understand the concept of it. But then I finally embraced its sci fi awesomeness and thanks to a local Star Trek group for allowing me to join with them in a weekly screening to understand and appreciate more the sci fi beauty of time and space concept.

I didn't got any problem understanding this movie remake, and because that I'm already aware of the terms and story concept of the series and the characters, it drives me crazy and excited to see these cool cameos and appearances of our favorite character. I was seating with my friend Mark Cerbo, who is a born trekkie, and the guy who taught me lots of things about Star Trek, didn't failed to answer all my questions on something that I didn't understand about the movie.

As they say, the story of each of the characters were revealed here as an origin story, and big revelations that will change the history of all Star Trek. The action phase and scene is very unpredictable, It is all action and suspense, and it was less talkies just like the old series. Its a JJ Abrams film, and I totally forgot it. The sci fi-ness of it added a great visual effects and modern technology. The Imax screen will put one geek into a triple geekasm on their seat. If you ask me, I got only one geekasm, as my trekkie seat mate, he got 10 geekasm, in staring those starships and characters.

The movie might never give any problem to new fans and viewers, as the terminologies of terms were easy to understand and hear it. The introduction of each characters are shown well, and its development up to the middle of the movie will entertain them and decide which character will have a big role in the entire movie. My guess was Spock, but in the end it was someone else.
I was like watching a sci fi version of Greys Anatomy, with out the drama and sex scene, well there are funny scenes that I know a trekkie can relate. The new actors portraying the old characters never gave me a problem, I enjoyed seeing them adapt the characters attitude and humor. Mccoy's attitude is still a winner, never fail to amuse me and its interaction with the major characters make it a close feel to the Original Series.

I don't have any complain on the visual effects, yes it was great! I love on how they treated on that teleportation sequence, I just love the intro of Spock landing in his home planet using a teleportation machine. The story is just plain common, but the concept of using this story will dramatically change the future of Star Trek, I'm not sure what will be the next after this film. I just hope that they prepare the sequel right away, and don't let the new and old fans waiting for another years to get a sci fi taste from the new frontier.

If I'm going to rate this movie.
all geek glory.

I'm giving it a 5 dancing bananas out of 5.

The image “http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v352/1/16/7774903715/n7774903715_1031684_6168.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Star Trek – In Theaters May 8, 2009 Photo Credits: Industrial Light and Magic


more photos below

The image “http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v352/1/16/7774903715/n7774903715_1031686_6445.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs035.snc1/3279_70803528715_7774903715_1722388_3428765_n.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs036.snc1/3283_77570208715_7774903715_1816025_6731330_n.jpg