Sherlock Holmes movie with lots of chemistry (not my favorite Science subject, but this is a movie review)



A window of the year 1891's and life over pitch black color environment with tight fashion and black magic sits around the elements for director Guy Ritchie's movie of Sherlock Holmes. I know that a little fashion and pitch black style will work best here and also the massive set design needed to transform everything to the 1800's age. Everyone already know that Sherlock Holmes is the world's greatest detective with a brilliant mind, so at the start of the movie, there's no need to introduce him. But I'm just a little worried to some fans and purist of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as they ask the same question always, if the movie will still follow the original novel. But for others like me, who are not familiar with the novel ( i didn't read any single chapters) but live only at versions from comic books, classic movies, and cartoon versions of Sherlock Holmes, in my case this movie re-imagine the look and modern story telling to bring it back and present it to the new generation. (read more below)
At the end of the movie, there's already a big question in my head that this might bring me back reading books, I know some of my friends already started to dig some ebooks and audio books of Sherlock Holmes and because of the movie, I might grab and read some of it.

The movie displays great scenery of the background of old London and a busy town, my eyes went busy for awhile looking for some different story within the background. Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes is a new version of what we know (for book fans) and Jude Law as Dr. John Watson, as we can tag him as Holmes's partner or sidekick. I did a little research on the net and looks like that the movie follows some elements needed for the entire Holmes story, like Holmes needed Watson to pay the rent of their home, accessory to every mission and case, 221B Baker Street, smoking pipe and that violin. I'm not sure if we needed more elements but adding a magnifying glass is very funny already ( and not useful all the times).

Being a brilliant mind of a character is one bad ass character, the movie showed a very powerful and witty Holmes, a very serious Watson, smiley Irene Adler and a villain Lord Blackwood that looks like from a Blade movie (I see leather coat here). Action is not that packed, and the trailer really led me to expect a heart thumping and adrenaline pumping scenes,but the action will lead you to think and talk inside Sherlock Holmes's head. I really like also that fight scene were Holmes uses two sticks to defend himself and for a look at it, I see ARNIS martial arts. If my vision is correct, he uses the part of his cane to be an arnis weapon


The movie is perfect to start our 2010, and thanks to Iron Man movie and people will now recognize Robert Downey Jr. not only as the iron armored avenger but also as the world's greatest detective. I enjoyed watching this but it lacks a wow wonder for me, but the story is good and Holmes's explanation and investigation with a conclusion is very important and that's what the movie is all about, just like watching a National Geographic or Discovery channel of that episode "How Things Work" or "Will it work?" something like that. But the movie will make you wonder and ask question things like "how did they do that?" , how you can resurrect your self in 3 days? is black magic really true? science vs. mystic arts ? this will be dissected and explained by Sherlock Holmes.

A fun wholesome movie that added some chemistry knowledge. I might miss some parts of the explanation of Holmes in this movie, but I will grab a DVD soon and this is a must DVD-thon title. And also a candidate for a movie sequel as for the super villain has a cameo appearance in this movie.

to grade it, I give it 4 out of 5 dancing bananas.
but 5 stars overall for set design, costume, and story.

Sherlock Holmes will open in Philippine cinemas on January 8, 2010. Distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.