trying macro photography using a DIY styro ring flash diffuser

a PC268620
I just tried macro photography yesterday using my Olympus E520, I stumbled this post the other night about a DIY ring flash made of styrofoam bowl of a noodles, I studied it and tried making one for my self. It works and I'm very impressed on the results, I was searching about some info on ring flash and LED video light for DLSR and then I saw that diy post, and I say this is the most cheapest ring flash diffuser.

I created my own version, but I miscalculated the hole that I made in that styro, shouldn't placed it on the middle and should be on the side of the center of the styro, so that the flash can hit that styro and illuminates the whole styro like a ring flash diffuser. And I also forgot to include a small styro. This DIY works also to any compact camera or point and shoot camera with built in pop up flash.

check out my macro photo samples below


you can see the diy here at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photophool/185168674/

PC268706
my set up, I also inserted a Macro converter lens over my lens. I tried using the macro settings on the SCENE mode, but it doesn't activate the pop up flash, so I decided to the macro converter lens and it works perfectly fine. Now on the next test, I'm going to try this using for food photography. The styro ring flash can act also as a diffuser.

a PC268626
flower over a flower

a PC268645
angry ant

a PC268652
baby flower

a PC268691
my right eye

a PC268715
water from the faucet
can you spot the ghost image half face of a man on the water?
weird... and its impossible to be my reflection because the styro covers everything and my face is not reflected.

a PC268667
tiny spider

a PC268615
my wedding ring with Lace's name

a PC268654
spider webs

PC268740
Bumble Bee

a PC268726
Piglet

a PC268732
remote control, omg! look at the dirt under the number button

a PC268738
match on fire

a PC268618
weird beetle