Join the BIG Binondo Food WOK (Chinese New Year Edition) a walking and eating tour by Ivan Man Dy

P1045402
P1045278 P1045336
P1045326 P1045252

The Big Binondo Food Wok is very popular to some travelers, foodies and foreigners, I remember years ago that I spotted that tour when I'm doing a photo walk shoot in Binondo and spotted Ivan Man Dy for the 1st time carrying some photos of old Manila, speaking on a mini microphone and carrying a small speaker and infront of him -  a big crowd of people listening to him, taking notes, taking photos and videos and then they follow Ivan where ever he may go, the people with him are mostly foreigners and pinoys.

Then after sometime it reminded me that there's this walking tour headed by Ivan and its a guided tour on foot around Binondo and also around Manila, and this tour is called "Old Manila Walks". Thanks to the internet, social media sites, tv features and articles on the newspaper, the tour became popular and its a must experience thing to everyone, because history about Manila is not fully published on books or encyclopedia, but there are new researchers  who are very updated on the history of Manila and they are willing to share this knowledge to everyone by having a creative style of having a little adventure with the Ivan the tour guide of Old Manila Walks.

more photo and story below about BIG Binondo Food WOK (Chinese New Year Edition)

We’re a bunch of passionate, obsessive and saucy ‘street walkers’(!) determined to walk and talk about one thing: the history, the culture and the heritage plus everything over, under, outside, inside this city of our affections - Manila.

And we believe that the best way to explore our city is by foot so we have taken this experience one step further!

Old Manila Walks operates on a simple principle: to have you experience the best of historic Manila - one step at a time.

It's a lure to an urban adventure, a cultural loop or just a plain simple exercise for your body and soul. Churches, temples, wet markets, historic homes, traditional shops, city walls, alleys, esteros and graveyards. You name it, we have it.

Come, take a walk on the fun side!

Meet our tour MANILA GURUS - http://www.oldmanilawalks.com/
This coming Chinese New Year 2012, Ivan created a special edition for "The BIG Binondo Food Wok", its a 3 day special tour inline with the Chinese New Year, its a tour that involves walking, listening, transfer of knowledge and eating! yes! you will eat your way and learn and listen to the old walls for stories in our very of Chinatown in Manila.

I've participated on a preview of that tour and its a fun tour! It's also my first time to roam around Ongpin and get to know those new and old eatery, restaurants and stores. Me and my family are "suki" of some restaurants and panciteria in Ongpin, and forever I always eat there and didn't got a chance to try other food of some restos. And with the tour initiated by Ivan, I got an experience on eating to two kinds of resto in Ongpin and I fell in love with it...the food and ambiance is so different and after that tour, I txted my sister and told her that I got a great experience and I can't wait to go back there again with her.

Here are the scheds and how to join
the BIG Binondo Food WOK (Chinese New Year Edition):
"Nibbling Our Way Through Chinatown"

January 21 (Saturday) @ 1:00 PM- 5:30  PM (approx)
                                            
January 22 (Sunday) @ 8:00 AM-12: 30 PM (approx)

                                       @: 2:00 PM-6:00 PM (approx)

January 23 (Monday 1st day CNY) @ 8:00 AM-12:30 P.M. (approx)

 Rate: P1,500.00/head (inclusive of tasting menu and lotsa fun and surprises!) <-- yes there's a surprise! and I wont mention it.. hehheh

      **Slots limited.Book early!

Contact
Email : fun@oldmanilawalks.com
Mobile: 0917-329-16-22
Tel : (632) 711-3823
website: www.oldmanilawalks.com

Here are some photos of what we did that day, for our part, its just a chikahan moment and mini reunion of foodies after the holiday, and thanks to Ivan for inviting us to experience his new personalized tour for the Chinese New Year.

P1045248
My day started walking alone in Ongpin st., I arrived late after being stuck in a one hour traffic in Baclaran, didn't expected that it was Baclaran day, I took this photo after I passed Binondo Church.

P1045236
Just arrived in Chinatown, I txted Spanky to let him know that I'm already in Ongpin, he told me to meet the group in the next destination, he txted me details on how I can reach the tour group.

P1045266
I just got in time, bec. they are not eating yet, but I missed the 1st stop and they say that it was a very heavy meal ehehehe, then Ivan told me to sit down and listen to some trivias about this cafe near Ongpin.

P1045258
For a teaser, Spanky gave this yummy hopia.... omg they are so yummy and more tastier than those sold in groceries and sari sari store.

P1045274
My big meal is here, we got introduce to this shabu shabu style of Rosso Asian kitchen, its the spiciest, tastiest beef in Szechuan  style, and later on the sauces were used and added some beef broth to boil and use it for the shabu shabu also known as Ji Gong Bao. Infront of me is the beef, on the other table is a rooster chicken meat.

P1045278
Here are the yummy contents for the shabu shabu, super panalo yung dimsum na may cheese sa loob and fish tofu is the best! (my first time to taste it and super panalo!)

P1045290
The resto owner is very happy that we love their food and then we were surprised that they added more and new food on the table.

P1045307
Szechuan water cooked beef
Looks spicy hot....but its a mild spicy flavor

P1045336
After our heavy meal, Ivan guided us on another walk and then we ate our merienda here in "Sa Lido", the last remaining original Lido resto in the country, I just learned that the Lido panciteria that are appearing to other cities and mall are not the original Lido that was put up since 1945.

P1045343
We got a cool trivia here, accdg to Ivan, the seat that Spanky is sitting is a special and favorite seat of Manila mayor Alfredo Lim, haahahaaha.

P1045346
Sa Lido is a great place.... In the old times,, this is the old cafe of the old time in Manila, and accdg to Ivan that Sa Lido transferred to this new venue, located on the 2nd floor, and below it is a bank.

P1045351
Tea time!

P1045361
One of the best seller here is the Siphon coffee

P1045362
Here's my fave Camaron rebosado

P1045366
Chamy noodles

P1045373
Roasted Asado

P1045377
Richard busy taking some photos, Abet lives near by, and he told me that the best food here are the toasted bread and asado sandwiches.

P1045385
Hototay soup ( been seeing this in the menu of our chinese resto, and finally saw what it looks like ahhaha)

P1045389
my serving... 

oh crap,,, I forgot to take a photo of that yummy Almon jelly with lycees

P1045414
Siphon coffee maker

P1045411
I will come back here...for you!

P1045402
and finally, after two years, I got a copy of Ivan's "The Big Binondo Food Wok Map", this food map is given away for free to all present tour goers, this map is really helpful, because you can customize your own food wok.

P1045406
On the next balikbayan relative to visit us here, I will recommend that they should try this awesome history - food adventure

P1045450
I will back again soon!

P1045459
Binondo Church.....