Under the Tropical Storm Maring in Cavite–flood areas and shopping for supplies in SM

typhoon maring
August 20, 2013 - Every tropical storm and typhoon we are always prepared for the things to come when a massive rain and flood hit our area in Cavite, but this tropical storm Maring is so different and we just learned that the rain he gave for 2 1/2 days are equal to a massive amount of rain for one month and we just experienced that here only in Cavite. You can check out the news report of the rain fall here --

“During the habagat deluge in 2012, rainfall at Sangley Point reached 354.2 mm in the 24 hours ending 8 a.m. on August 7, 2012, according to PAGASA weather division head Robert Sawi.
In contrast, rainfall at the same location for the same period on August 20, 2013, reached 475.4 mm. This is even more than the average expected rainfall for the entire month, or 457.4 mm.” – GMA News

With big rains coming in the city of Cavite for almost 3 days, our nearby towns are super flooded and we in the middle are stranded and there’s no way out of the city if you plan to go to Manila and if you go to Manila you’ll get a welcome greeting from big floods and also traffic jams.
I also put up a #floodph survey in my Facebook last Aug 18, 2013  just to get more info of flooded areas in Manila and to inform everyone about the flood., you can check the survey here at http://www.facebook.com/popazrael/posts/10151880871154276

So we stay home and let the rain and flood pass,and since we experienced this for the 1st time, we are not that prepared and sometimes, heavy storms or typhoons last only for 1 day, but the tropical storm Maring just love staying here in our country for almost a week and it invites his friend the Habagat or monsoon to drop with big strength.

On its 2nd day, we noticed that we ran our of supplies at home, our only chance to buy new stocks in the nearby mall – SM City Bacoor. It’s still flooded in our area, so I took a little adventure to dive in the flood and check out the situation outside the house.


typhoon maring
they say that the flood is gutter deep and other areas are below the knee deep, there’s no other way to cross the flooded highway, but the only chance here is to walk and dive in. I wore my Native shoes for ankle deep flood, it is super effective, but I need to walk in tip ankle mode for ankle deep floods. It work for awhile but the flood splash coming in didn’t spared my foot inside.

typhoon maring
I carried a big umbrella, wore my jacket and cap and headed outside the village and head to the mall.

typhoon maring
I spotted this shin deep flood, so I walked more using the sidewalk to get a better low flood area

typhoon maring
the dead end….. so I arrived infront of the mall, but the sidewalk starts to be flooded too, knee deep flood waters are spotted after some pedestrian walked in it. I was shocked and left me no choice to jump in and tried a good spot for ankle deep waters. The tip ankle walking stunt worked for a while, but it didn’t help me after crossing the flood in the other street with wild flood rapids. oh damn..I got toasted there.


typhoon maring
If Bacoor is flooded…even it is in highest location in the road, expect nearby towns going down to Manila is much more flooded, chest deep up to neck deep floods. check this photo --- http://www.facebook.com/popazrael/posts/10151884809144276


typhoon maring
As I entered the mall, I expect that some resto and café are open, but I saw the gloomy ambiance of the mall, almost 80% of the stores and food joints are closed.

typhoon maring
BDO is also closed but the SM Appliance Center is still open.

typhoon maring
Okay its time to go to the grocery….


typhoon maring
Stores are closed and I spotted that there are some people are staying here for shelter and most of them are taking the advantage of using the free WIFI of SM City Bacoor, I just hope they removed the 1 hour limit use of the free wifi whenever a disaster event is happening nearby. I also spotted Ace Hardware open and lots of shoppers are buying some supplies there.

typhoon maring
The SM Supermarket.. .half open and half close


typhoon maring
In every storm and typhoon events, I expect long lines and panic buying shoppers, then I noticed that there are just a few shoppers buying their stocks around the time of 4pm. I think most of the shoppers drop by during morning and lunch hours. I just prayed that they have more stocks for us. I expect the bread will be sold out.

typhoon maring
Thank you SM!!! maasahan ka talaga pag may bagyo

typhoon maring
And here’s my grocery list from my wife…. oh man..when I read the list written in a notepad that came from Berjaya Hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I felt sad again bec. we have a flight going to KL the next day and we learned all flights are cancelled. After that…I decided not to go to KL for the moment and want to recover after the storm, bec. it’s a bit chaotic going to the airport and plane bookings are so busy at this time.


typhoon maring
As I enter the supermarket, I noticed that they placed the candles and matches near the entrance. This will help the shopper to locate the most impt. items for their homes..eps. if their area is affected by big floods and there’s no electricity.

typhoon maring
My first on the list are chickens..
then I saw the Magnolia chicken booth that they almost ran out of stocks for the day.

typhoon maring
my view of the meat section..then I prayed that hope there will be more meat left for us


typhoon maring
My prayers were answered and spotted some whole chicken from Magnolia, I bought two whole chicken, let the other whole be cut for a Tinola chicken soup.


typhoon maring
My eyes are teary when I saw that there are lots of meat left for us.. I ordered 1 kilo of pork for Adobo and 7 pcs of pork chops.

typhoon maring
more meat…


typhoon maring
Then I’m going to buy that frozen cream dory fish, my wife told me to go to the frozen food are for the fillet fish, then I spotted this sign…. omg!!!!! Hardinera and Bagnet available in SM Supermarket! I didn’t got the time to search this..but I will come back for you!!!! Hardinera is one of the yummiest food that I like whenever I’m in Lucban,Quezon and Sampaloc, Quezon.


typhoon maring
Lots of frozen food!!! yey!!!!

typhoon maring
Instant noodles have lots of stocks….so no more worry
I bought a pack of beef noodles and chili pancit canton


typhoon maring
As expected… the bread area are almost sold out…
left overs are the non popular bread, my target here is to buy Gardenia bread, but there’s no trace of that brand, even the Pullman brand are gone… I pick up a loaf of raisins bread priced at Php 65.


typhoon maring
Lined up to the counter and was behind 10-15 shoppers, all of us are carrying blue basket, but the cashier are so slow, so I pop up my iPhone4s and played Plants vs. Zombies part 2.


typhoon maring
There’s my shopping blue basket!



typhoon maring
Those are from the shopper infront of me, they too shop for meat and eggs

typhoon maring
My big fault for bringing one eco bag…. now I carried them in one bag and its too heavy…arghhh, but that didn’t stop me from taking photos hahaha.. Here’s a view of the SM Food Court, I spotted some food stalls open and offering cooked food for shoppers, our 1st plan was to buy food in KFC or buy food at the SM Food court, but I’m glad Mama just told me to buy fresh meat and we will just cook the food here at home. Then I learned that KFC is closed and other fast food are closed too. then I saw Jollibee open and operating so smoothly…


typhoon maring
Saw some people lining up for this charging vending machine, they charge their phones here for a Php5 per 5 min. ( I think), maybe they are from a nearby town affected by floods and black out


typhoon maring
my reflection…..



typhoon maring
As I leave the mall, I noticed that the flood became too high aghhh!!! then I saw these pedicabs offering a ride for Php 20 to cross the street. I took a ride and secured the grocery and prevent it from getting wet.



typhoon maring
Lifting my feet away from the flood ahhahahaa.. it enter the floor of the pedicab and whew!!! I’m glad they are here, so my feet are not soaked under the flood.

Its still flooded here in our area and I just saw some photos taken this morning that the entire area going down to Manila is super flooded – knee deep, waist deep and chest deep… gahhhhhhh!!! there’s no way out.  photo - http://www.facebook.com/popazrael/posts/10151887485204276

stay safe everyone…recovery stage is coming after a few days.