On my way to Quiapo Church - Feast of the Black Nazarene 2014–part 1

P1082701
Welcome back to my photo story and also my coverage of the Feast of the Black Nazarene 2014, this is my 7th year in doing a blog coverage of the feast and the procession of the Black Nazarene here in my blog. Every year I go to Quiapo Church to attend the mass and also watch and wait for the arrival of the procession in the streets of Manila. My family is a devotee of the Black Nazarene for many years and my memory of starting to join with them in a mass in Quiapo was when I’m 7 years old, not the accurate age that I can remember but I will ask my mom if ever she’s online.

For this year, its my first time to go there alone, normally, I’m always with my sister, but then when all of my family members migrated to the US one by one, I was the only one left here in the Philippines, so its up to me to continue the Black Nazarene devotion for the entire family. I’m glad that I know the loop going to the super crowded Quiapo, I have no problems with it because I grew up in Manila with street smart skills.

below are the are my photo story part 1.

you can read my 2014 coverage via this tag http://azraelsmerryland.blogspot.com/search/label/Feast%20of%20the%20Black%20Nazarene%202014

and you can also read my 2013 coverage with this link - http://azraelsmerryland.blogspot.com/2013/01/photo-story-feast-of-black-nazarene-2013.html


P1082680
I used the same route that me and my sister usually meet, because she lives in Pasig and me now in Cavite, we always meet here at the D. Jose LRT station or at the Recto MRT station. Here’s my view of the connecting walkway going to other side of the LRT train station.

P1082684
At the Other side of the Recto MRT station is the old Isetan mall. I go here during my college years in FEU just to chill out, eat my lunch, play video games and watch movies. It’s a surprise that this mall still survives.

P1082686
I spotted some people and kids sleeping at the sidewalk, I think they were in Quiapo early in the morning to attend the mass, this could be their resting area while waiting for the return of the Black Nazarene.

P1082689
Quiapo Ilalim
All roads are blocked, there’s no way in and out if you have a vehicle, the only way to enter Quiapo is by foot.

P1082690
While taking some photos at the Quiapo Ilalim, I almost got hit by this pick up truck, the driver didn’t even honk his horn to warn me. But it’s a lucky day that I’m unharmed in the start of the day for my first hour of the Feast of the Black Nazarene.


P1082692
It’s my first time to see sidewalk vendors selling Bibingka in the street…the smell is so yummy!
I want to buy one but I need to pass and continue to walk and reach the front of the church before the mid sun heats up the whole city.

P1082693
Blind musician entertains every passing devotee in the street that leads to Quiapo.

P1082694
Feast of the Black Nazarene shirts are sold here as low as PHP 50 per shirt, the colored shirt are sold at a price of PHP 80

P1082696
Here’s a lady showing her design and print on demand shirt for only PHP 50.
They can print the design to your shirt on the spot and while you wait via using their custom made silkscreen.

P1082697
More shirts..I was hunting for a nice shirt for my mom and Aunt Helen, but its hard to spot a nice design that doesn’t show a crucified face of Jesus.

P1082698
A seller just sold a set of shirt to one devotee.

P1082703
As I near the front gates of Quiapo Church – the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene. Lots of replica of the Black Nazarene started to appear infront of me.

Those statues were carried and brought in by devotees that came from different cities here in the Philippines, from small sizes up to a life size statue replica.

P1082705
It was around 9:30am when I arrived here and I can feel the heat of the sun started to cook my skin, I brought my sun block lotion, but I forgot to apply it when I arrived here in Quiapo.

P1082706
I’m now approaching Raon st.
The most busiest street in every feast here in Quiapo. The last time that I entered this street is that we locked ourselves inside an electronic store because someone threw a python size of firecrackers (sawa)


P1082707
Covering your nose???
I’m not sure why this lady vendor started to cover her nose… naligo naman ako ah hahahha
she sells those sunflower and some peanuts


P1082709
Zooming in with my 12-50mm lens in Raon st.
I remember that I buy hip hop and disco cassette tapes in a nearby record store after the over pass, I think the name of the store is SOLIMAN haahaha. Andun pa kaya yun ?


P1082711
Lots of people are exiting the streets of Quiapo, here’s a guy that suddenly side swipe a lady that will buy sampaguita flowers. I didn’t event saw this guy coming in, because all I know is that I’m taking a photo of the vendor and her buyer.

P1082712
Lenticular poster of the Black Nazarene
With a price of PHP 15, you can take home already this lenticular 3D poster of the Black Nazarene, I want to buy one, but It’s hard to carry it with and it might get crumpled during my stay here in Quiapo.

P1082714
Ukay Ukay everywhere
Cops and MMDA are already in the area, they now instruct the street vendors with this big set up on the street to move out of the area.


P1082717
A replica statue of the Black Nazarene arrives

P1082718
Everlasting flower
This flower can last up to 6 months….all look fresh and smells nice.

P1082719
I’m almost there and near the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene

P1082724
I just saw the walls of the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene
The flow of people starts to triple here and everyone are walking slowly and shoulder to shoulder.

I got worried about my knee injury, I still have difficulty in walking because my knee wound is not yet healed, so I walk here like a C3PO robot, walking with one straight leg.

P1082725
I got stuck at the end of the crowd, then I noticed behind me is a push kart with a replica of the Black Nazarene.

P1082727
The mass is about to end in a few minutes, I arrived in time just to catch another mass, it’s a good timing for me because I can go in front of the church and I can stay there til the end of the mass


P1082728
Arc entrance side of Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene

P1082731
Infront of the church, I spotted this group again…. they perform healing activities the whole day

P1082732
A tv crew interviews one of the leader of this religious group.


P1082734
Statues of Jesus and replicas of The Black Nazarene being sold in the street and in front of Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene

P1082735
I just arrived in Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene
The mass just started on time as I stand here….while I end my photo coverage duty for a while for the mass, I rapidly applied the sun block to my arms and then to my face…because the sun is scorching so hot.

Watch out for my part 2 of my Feast of the Black Nazarene 2014 blog coverage.


Photo gear used: Olympus EPL-1 camera with 12-50mm M.zuicko OMD lens