Mazda KODO Drive: car photography activity to capture the “soul of motion”

DSC_0467

Mazda Philippines organized a car photography workshop and activity for us media and bloggers, its an activity of introducing KODO, the design philosophy of Mazda, The new design philosophy exist few years ago and this will be the image and design of the car for the next coming years. The Mazda Kodo “soul of motion” design can be seen in a Mazda 6, CX-5, CX-9 and the all new Mazda 3 SKYACTIV.

The Kodo design comes from the five edges of a leopard running in top speed, and this resembles a motion that can’t be match with other high speed running creature. Mazda adapted to this 5 edges that defines the lines of speed, beauty and power.

I’m familiar with Mazda, but their design philosophy made me admire more the form and style of their cars. Now its time for us to capture that soul of motion in photos, we will drive to Clark, Pampanga and meet the team Fujifilm and Top Gear Magazine to understand the basic of photography and the art of car photography.

IMG_5681

Mazda Philippines President, Steven Tan, welcomed us at their Mazda showroom in Pasig City.
It was 6am and I’m so sleepy because I didn’t sleep the entire night. I didn’t know that we’re going to drive a Mazda car that day.

DSC_0003
Sherlyn Co of Mazda team waves to us as we left the showroom riding a Mazda CX-5. I’m glad that my team is from Top Gear Philippines and I’m glad one of us knows how to drive, my minor problem is that I don’t have a new driving license.

DSC_0005

Its traffic all the way to NLEX

vlcsnap-2015-01-23-22h36m57s245

And here’s my team mate, a former Top Gear Philippines writer, Steven Yu. Also at the back seat, we have Elaine Lara, from Top Gear PH.

DSC_0001

This is my 2nd time to join a drive event, and here I am as a navigator to our team. I’m holding a note for direction and distance computed on where we execute the drive.


DSC_0011

After some hours, we arrived here in Green Canyon Resort for the car photography workshop. I was so sleepy and now I blame my self for not taking a nap at home. But I have to survive and learn the art of car photography.

DSC_0015

Miko David of Top Gear Philippines, teaches us the basic photography and also how we do the car photography in 3 kinds of capture – 1) basic pose 2) in motion 3) money shot capture

IMG_5685

I got serious into it and here I am drafting my thumbnail for the car photo shoot. It looks so easy for photography, but its so hard to get the right branding. That’s how I fail this car photography activity. I totally forgot about the branding.

DSC_0024

Mazda 3,6 and CX-5 all lined up for our next activity.
Go out and get the awesome basic photo pose of the car.

DSC_0025

Here’s Kuya Eli hopping in to their Mazda 3

Here’s my BASIC PHOTO entry

DSC_0033
photo 1

There’s a rough terrain inside Green Canyon Resort, its hard to conceptualize a photo shoot when 5 or 10 MAZDA cars are roaming around the location hahahah.

Here’s my first concept of the photo shoot – I just imagine a poster ad for our Mazda CX-5

DSC_0064

photo 2

I heavily used the background and the field, but I didn’t captured here the KODO


DSC_0092

photo 3

I told Steven that there’s a good location at the other side of the terrain, then when he drove towards me, I took this photo in burst mode. It was a good shot, but I didn’t like the background. Because I want to capture also the canyon behind it.


CSC_0216

photo 4

I submitted this photo as my entry for the photo competition. I got the shot I need, but I failed to capture the KODO in our Mazda CX-5. Accdg. to fellow photographer, the SUV turned to look like a car.

DSC_0151

Next workshop, its all about capturing detail.
I just saw some samples by Miko David and It was very well planned and they have the kind of eye that can capture that is hard to see.

so for the 2nd activity. I tried to capture the detail of Mazda.

My Capture the detail entry


DSC_0159

photo 1

My 1st attempt to capture that Start-Stop button.

DSC_0160

photo 2

Just the radio and aircon control.


DSC_0167

photo 3

the fin. I just imagined that this is a shark.
Im just playing around the details of Mazda CX-5

DSC_0178

photo 4

The part where I started to be superrrr sleepy. My creative juices went wonky and my brain ran out of battery.


DSC_0188

photo 5

I like this shot, it captured the detail and branding of Mazda.. but.

CSC_0217

photo 6

I just don’t know why I submitted the photo above as my entry. hahahaha.
Maybe I just fell in love with the black leathery detail of the car seat.

DSC_0196

photo 7

Sana heto na lang yung na submit ko.. OR

DSC_0202

photo 8.

heto sana.
but that’s okay.


DSC_0238

The next activity is a bit hard…… capture Mazda car in motion

My Capture the car in motion entry

DSC_0255

photo 1

I love this photo, but there are lots of blurry elements. I submitted this as my entry.

DSC_0288

photo 2

We teamed up to another team for the photo shoot. 1st was to shoot them in motion and then 2nd, its our turn to drive and they are the photographers.

DSC_0343

Kuya Eli spotted at the roof of the Mazda 3
DSC_0352

photo 3

its weird that I captured the same thing again.


DSC_0418

The other team are busy shooting the photo of our car.

DSC_0410

Sunset time…. below is the lahar

CSC_0477

We thought that there will be a category for sunset, then we learned that its for the money shot entry, an entry that can beat all photo category. Its hard to capture it because of our limited time and not so familiar about the location.

But I love my capture here. We chased the sunset and parked the Mazda CX-5 in the middle of the bridge.

DSC_0467

I also love this photo, I should have sent this for my basic pose of our Mazda CX-5.
Sayang!


IMG_5700

The hours of submitting our photo entry.
Here’s our blogger pal Ted Claudio, he’s a Fujifilm camera user and I think the only photographer in the room with lots of experiences. One of his entry was dubbed as a photo for National Geographic. wow!! congrats Ted!

DSC_0502

The next morning… we saw our photo entries posted in a panel board inside the function room of Green Canyon Resort.

I arrived 10 minutes late because me and Ted went swimming in the resort’s wave pool.

DSC_0503

We learned that the winning photos will be printed and featured in the next issue of Top Gear Philippines.
wow!

DSC_0507

and lookie!!! Enzo Luna won 1st place for the capture the detail category..
astig!!! congrats pre.

DSC_0510

Winners receive a Fujifilm Instax camera

DSC_0512

For 5th place, Enzo got another award..but then

DSC_0515

Mr. Digital Spidey got the 2nd place for the capture in motion category.

DSC_0519

All of my blogger friends got their award, I went home happy even without the reward. For me the reward is that awesome massage service last night hahaha. Btw, Ian Bacungan and his team with Angel Rivero, won the over all, all of them went home with a Fujifilm X30 camera… wow!

DSC_0521

Our team mate Elaine Lara also won in the basic photo category.. she captured that 2nd photo above.
galeng!!

DSC_0524

Also Kuya Eli won in the basic pose…

DSC_0525

Ted holds his photo with the National Geographic remark.


IMG_5754

Enzo Luna won all the category…. hahahaha..langya pinakyaw na ang lahat ng awards.
congrats

The winners list can be found here

Basic pose - https://www.facebook.com/MazdaPhilippines/posts/907739052580873

Capturing detail - https://www.facebook.com/MazdaPhilippines/posts/905391259482319

Kodo in motion - https://www.facebook.com/MazdaPhilippines/posts/905386246149487


DSC_0527

Thanks to Mazda and Fujifilm for the awesome car photography activity. I’m a Nikon camera user, but I did my best to level up with the pro photographers and media group. But the most important thing here is that I learned the art of car photography.

I super love our Mazda photographer vest.

DSC_0540

Playing around in Green Canyon Resort hahaha.


DSC_0560

Here I attempt to carbon copy Enzo’s winning entry hahaha.


IMG_5761

Day 2: we are now back at the showroom in Pasig City. Sherlyn told me that I can take home the CX-5, then they can pick up the car after 2 days in my area. But I told her that I can’t drive bec. I don’t have a license, but since me and Kuya Eli are leaving the place together, she let Eli take home the CX-5.
wooohohoh.


IMG_5764

Next month..I will request to test drive this Mazda BT-50
Bec.I’m a pick up truck fanatic….

DSC_0575

Tempting…. Mazda CX-5
take it home with a 99k all in dep.


IMG_5771

Going home…
Eli driving the Mazda CX-5 review unit.


Mazda Philippines


Website: http://www.mazda.ph/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/MazdaPhilippines