French special cooking class at Spiral in Sofitel Manila

DSC_0082

As part of the celebration of French National Day this July at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, they organized a series of dinner and food events at Spiral to embrace and be introduced in the world of French culinary and culture.

We attended a cooking class at Spiral and this is our first time to try and be a chef for a day behind the buffet and chopping table of Spiral’s European Atelier section.

I thought that we will be just there to watch and listen to Sofitel’s executive chef Denis Vechiatto, but then we learned that we will be preparing a kind of French food for breakfast, and that’s for us to eat at the end of the class.

Im nervous at first because Im not good in the kitchen, but I discovered that preparing a Reblochon cheese pie and salad with goat cheese is very simple. According to one of Sofitel’s French connoisseur that they usually make one for their breakfast and they do it starting as scratch.

wow!

DSC_0006

We approach our own table after wearing Spiral’s apron and toque hat, then I saw a not so familiar kitchen gear.

A brush, and a jar with yellow gooey and a rolled dough.

DSC_0021

I was so busy taking photos and managing my phone to video record everything, I don’t have yet an idea what kind of food that we are going to prepare.


DSC_0012

Colin Chandaras, cheesemaster from Fromagerie Beillevaire, one of the supplier of French cheese for this month at Spiral, told us a short story about how the French people use the cheese just to get away from paying taxes.

DSC_0015

On our table is the Reblochon cheese


DSC_0024

Its cold and soft.

DSC_0026

My kitchen table.

So I placed the cheese on the dough and sprinkled it with sliced garlic and some herbs.


DSC_0028

then we wrapped the cheese with the dough and brush it with lots of egg yolk.
The yellow gooey that I mentioned earlier is an egg yolk.

According to Colin, we can add more yolk around to make the dough shiny and gold.
then I learned that we will bake in an oven.

DSC_0031

Here’s my Reblochon cheese pie dough.
I know that the cheese will melt inside, so I wrapped it more dough around and added more yolk on top.


DSC_0032

Thanks to Mr. Colin for guiding us…
I have to impress the executive chef hehe

DSC_0042

Im done!

DSC_0046

My pie is ready, I even placed a letter “A” on top just to I.D. it when we place it on a tray and get ready for hot bake.


DSC_0054

Up next, they thought us how to make our own salad.
Chef Denis said that making salad kinda impresses your partner at home.


DSC_0056

Then we were introduced to Fromagerie Beillevaire’s own made goat cheese.

DSC_0066

Time to listen again from our chef and learn how to make a nice salad with goat cheese.


DSC_0070

Salad making is easy….just add the leafy veggies and add the salad vinaigrette

DSC_0086

Then we added goat cheese on top of three small bread and then they baked it for less than 3 minutes.
The smell is so good. The burned bread and the melted goat cheese’s aroma made me super hungry.


DSC_0072

After some 5 minutes, we saw that our Reblochon cheese pie is baked already.
Some pie pops melted cheese and few of the pie survived the baked process.

DSC_0075

Here’s my pie!!
Chef Denis told me it was perfect..naks!!! na impress ko din si chef


DSC_0094

At the end of the cooking class we received our Certificate of Appreciation and then we get to eat our own food!!

also served with drinks or coffee complimentary offering by the chef

salamat chef!

DSC_0098

There’s my wife Lace and Sofitel’s Kat getting ready to eat their salad.

Ako naman, I super enjoyed my salad and my two coffee ahahah
and also I ate Denise Laurel’s salad!! hahahah

13612159_794908870646567_6383353530976058557_n

Class picture.






Check out my blog post about Sofitel’s French special month
http://azraelsmerryland.blogspot.com/2016/07/french-national-day-specials-at-sofitel.html

Also you might be interested to join in these food events:

Autour du fromage
cooking class
July 6-10, 2016
PHP 1500

Cheese and wine pairing
July 11, 2016
PHP 1500

Sunday Bastille Day at Spiral Brunch
July 17th at Spiral Sunday Brunch
Rate - PHP 3650

Bastille Day at Spiral
July 14th at 6PM-10:30PM
Rate - PHP 2750

Bastille Day BBQ Special
July 14th at Sunset Bar
Rate PHP 2450

Executive Chef Denis Vecchiato and cheese expert Colin Chandaras
July 7 at 3:30pm
rate: Php1,500nett per person

Special wine and cheese class with Pascal Beillevaire
July 11 at 4pm in L'Epicerie
rate: Php1,500nett per person