DJI Osmo Pocket - hands on test for vlogging



Im lucky to have a test and try with this new DJI Osmo Pocket camera, and thanks to Camerahaus and Ted Claudio for lending me a unit for a month to test the tiny camera with gimbal stabilizer.

The DJI Osmo Pocket was launched last December 2019 and it was like a big Christmas gift for gadget fans,  hard core videographers and hobbyist. The good feature of the DJI Osmo Pocket is that its the most smallest camera with gimbal ever developed by DJI, following its previous model from the DJI Osmo Mobile and Osmo Plus.  
Camerahaus is now selling this DJI Osmo Pocket for a PHP23,000, go check out their store and have a chance to try.

Ive tried the DJI Osmo Mobile and I got a hard time in using it or operating it. I learned that I don’t have the luxury of having more patience when it comes to shooting and also setting all up like inserting my smartphone into the gimbal and run some few apps to run with it.

At first, my smartphone dont have  the best video resolution and quality thats why I didnt got the interest to continue on using the Osmo Mobile. But for DJI Osmo Pocket, it was a different story -- I started to love using it because there’s no need to set it up and just need to power first the device and then start recording a video. Its like an ordinary camera but the difference is that the video footage you shoot is stable and not shaky.



Last January 2019, I brought the DJI Osmo Pocket to my coverage of the Bambanti Festival in Isabela Province. And the Osmo is the smallest recording device ever that I carry inside my bag….or in my pocket.

Here’s a sample video that I created in using the DJI Osmo Pocket



PITX Travel Guide



Trip to Isabela Province

I enjoyed using the DJI Osmo Pocket camera in vlogging, because it is so small and people don’t even know that Im recording a video or vlogging. They thought Im just texting hahaa. Here's the features that I like: - small - can shoot video up to 4K - I set my video up to 1080p 30fps only - Sound quality of the built in mic is good - Very stable and not shaky for the video footage - It can shoot photos with better quality - very handy and it can fit in your side pocket - Screen for swipe control to change settings, view images or video - Easy to switch the screen to selfie mode with a press of three buttons or use the screen after one swipe and click - You can control the up and down pan via the screen control - Face tracking and follow Here's what I dont like - You need more accessories for wireless connection, mic input and additional controller - Screen controller for up and down panning is so small on screen
- It can stand on its own via a flat surface, but dont be confident - There's no handle strap - No way to change to battery, you are dependent to single charge after use - it uses USB Type C ( but this is the future!)

Here’s the tech specs of DJI Osmo Pocket

Sensor: 1/2.3” CMOS
Effective pixels: 12M
lens: FOV:80° F2.0
Format Equivalent: 26mm
ISO: Photo:100-3200
Video:100-3200
max image size: 4000×3000 pixels
photo modes: Single Shot,  Panorama, Timelapse, Motionlapse
can shoot up to 4K Ultra HD
max video bit rate: 100 Mbps
photo format: jpeg, jpeg+dng
video format: mp4/mov (mpeg4 avc/h.264)
MicroSDMax, Capacity: 256 GB
audio output: 48 KHzAAC
controls: Pan: -230° to +50°
Tilt: -95° to 50°Roll: ±45°
875 mAh battery
140 mins (When shooting 1080p/30 fps video)
73 mins (When using a 10W charger)




Sample photo taken with DJI Osmo Pocket



Sample photo taken with DJI Osmo Pocket




Sample photo taken with DJI Osmo Pocket





What’s inside the box of the DJI Osmo Pocket
- unit
- casing
- USB Type C charging cable
- USB Type C plug for smartphone
- Apple Lightning plug for iPhone



You may use the USB Type C plug or the Lightning plug to connect your smartphone devices into the DJI Osmo Pocket. Just install and download the DJI Osmo Pocket app for the pairing of the two devices and also for photo and video operation.



Here’s Ted Claudio doing a demo using his Asus Zenfone 5 plugged into the DJI Osmo Pocket




I was looking for a way to connect the DJI Osmo Pocket via wireless into my phone, but then I learned that you need that Wireless Module for the DJI Osmo Pocket, it serves as the Wifi connector to your mobile devices.

Okay...another purchase requirement if you want more feature.



Im so interested to try the DJI Osmo Pocket underwater. For DJI Osmo Pocket accessories they have the waterproof case.



I also like the ND Filters set, Im interested to shoot with the DJI Osmo Pocket with ND Filters.
I just want to shoot video with a well balanced light.




More accessories!  I am also interested to try that controller wheel, with that add on accessory, you will experience a much more easy control of the DJI Osmo Pocket, it means that no need to push or swipe control the screen and its small buttons to operate the camera movements.

Also you can add an external mic to your DJI Osmo Pocket, you just need the 3.5mm adapter.
My problem, if ever I need the all accessories, I think it will be a problem because I wont able to use the mic adapter if ever the wireless module is connected.



Wide lens for the DJI Osmo Pocket is now here, thanks to Kase Lens.
I think I need to check more video samples on Youtube to see how wide it is when connected to a DJI Osmo Pocket camera.



DJI Osmo Pocket and a Go Pro Hero 7 size comparison
Will shoot with GoPro or with DJI ?
Which one is more stable ?




Right now, Im a big convert to the DJI Osmo Pocket, because its so small, its so easy to use it in vlogging, its not too flashy when you vlog around, and the crowd doesn’t even know Im carrying a camera. You can go ninja vlogging anytime and anywhere.

DJI Osmo Pocket camera is now available in all Camerahaus stores nationwide.
For only PHP 23,000.