The 200 Pesos sacrifice



I just learned a lesson today and I just sacrificed a P200 to the black market of money changer. I just didn't know at first that they are very strict in changing US dollars that dated 1996. And I didn't know that my money is dated 1996. I only encountered this kind of situation once, and it is my first time to have a transaction outside the mall's money changer service or bank, and since that I'm stuck here in Robinson's Manila and had used my money into something important for a postal service. I was shocked to know that the money changer here in the mall has no Philippine cash for the day, at first I waited 30 min, because the cashier told me to wait for 30 min. because they are still waiting for the cash, then after 30min. they pulled out a sign that says "no cash today Feb 26", after reading that I was pissed and mad, hope they told me about it after my inquiry.

then I told the guard if they know somewhere a reliable money changer, but the guard said that there is no other changer in the mall, I should try outside the mall in Padre Faura wing, there I know it is a black market for money changing, but I don't have a choice but to go there even if it is raining.

I tried the first money changer and it seems a little rusty, after entering its doors and handed them my money,the old lady told me that the 100 US dollar I'm handling is dated 1996, and the exchange rate for that is P38. I was mad and told them why do they do that, and they didn't explained why and told me that even in the malls don't accept 1996 dated money. I just went out after it and told them (using my Professor X telepathy) that they can't fool me, SM money changing services are a lot more better than them.

then on the 2nd money changer, a younger lady explained to me clearly that their US dollar buyer don't accept 1996 thats why the exchange rate for 1996 or maybe 2000 below is P38 per 1 dollar. So the rain started to fall heavily and then I decided to let go my 100 US dollar to them and sacrifice P200 to their buyer. Well its a lot good than getting a taxi and travel my way to SM MOA.

the exchange rate in the mall today is 40.60, while in the black market is 40.50....or i think it was 40.15, if i heard it correctly.

my lesson for today is.....

don't ever pick up a stray P200 on the floor of Shangri-La Mall, even if the owner is nowhere to be found. or if it is not yours, just leave it there and let someone picked it up and carry a bad karma.




by the way, I'm in Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. inside Robinsons Manila mall, Midtown Wing.
The Midtown wing is very nice, I feel that I'm in Podium, SM MOA or rockwell hahahaah.
the Toy's R US here is big!

Edit 1:
here's a plain explanation from my multiply contacts

"Sir, I think I may have an explanation why the 1996 and older dollar bills are not exchanged at the same rates: it was only in 1996 that the U.S. treasury started to incorporate state-of-the-art anti-counterfeiting features into their currency (source). Maybe the inconvenience of having to verify if the old bills are genuine is the reason why it is not as accepted by moneychangers as newer money."

Post a Comment

2 Comments

shink said…
It's wierd that there aren't more money changers inside RP mall; that's pretty close to Malate and there are a lot of foreign tourists that make their way there from Malate.

That'll prolly change once the new wing fully opens.

Meron palang Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf diyan, nagsayang ako ng pera sa burger king! Grrrr
@shinkaide
baligtad nga tayo eh
i was looking for burger king kanina.
eh andun ka pala.

tapos nasa coffee bean naman ako dun sa midtown wing