Surfing in Divisoria



We went to Divisoria this morning to tour and do shopping with Lace, her mom and family friend from Cebu. I was planning to do some work today, but Lace told me to have a break and join with them in the surfing tour and shopping in 168 mall and Meisiac mall. It's been a year that I last visited Divisoria and I'm a little surprised about some changes and new establishments rising near the malls. I just saw a Starbucks branch in Binondo with Chinese words above their logo, same goes to other establishments and the street signs have Chinese translations too. (read more below)


I began to wonder and also think why would they put that there, maybe because that we can have a feel that we are in China? or in Chinatown? Hong Kong? or try to transform that area into an exclusive only for those who can read chinese? hahahaha. I began to think a lot of funny ideas, but one of the possible ideas are that they put those extra signs for old Chinese people who can't read English letters, or maybe for Chinese tourist, well the real deal is that. I don't even know.

I just found some cool items in the mall, like the figurines of Buddha, all painted in gold color and bronze, and because that I don't have a lot of money to buy all kinds of it, I just took a photo and added in my gallery, maybe soon I can start getting these cute statues, but for other people the purpose is not more than for a charm or ornaments for their stores or homes. Then I saw these carabao statues, and then Lace told me that those figurines are lucky charms for the year 2009, because next year will be the year of the Ox. We decided to buy one set of cute cartoon style Ox figurines, for a total of P180 you can take home a 4 piece set of Ox, that measures inches haahaha. But the large ones are a little pricey for me, so we decided to get the small version.

There are also anime toys, statues and gashapons available for sale in the malls, I was surprised that there are already anime toy store inside those tianggee types, and all are originals, but some are bargained, while others are wholesale items that maybe come from Singapore, and also but not the least an unlimited stocks of knock off toys ahhahaha. Its funny that they know sell pirated version of Ben 10, but it sucks to see those because I'm not sure if those plastic pirated toys are non toxic and free from lead. Our local government should take actions about that and local toy distributors should see this and not BLAME toy buyers about the rapid spread of pirated toys.

We just spend the whole day hanging out on two malls, ate in a food court area, bought 2 happy meal Madagascar 2 toys, bought this pirate skull tshirt ( and will go back there soon to grab the Sepultura tshirt, if they are confirmed to perform here), and food from Eng Bee Tin.

The place were kiampong is sold, stores with Chinese word signs, Kalesa roaming with the jeeps, traffic cameras aiming at those MMDAs, massive traffic, motorized pedicab, bargained briefs, buy one take one shirts, pirated dvd, wholesale for grabs and delicious castanets, that's Divisoria... I suggest you go there, buy your early items for your Christmas party and kringles, because on the next coming days, you won't even see a dropped peso coin in the middle of a rush buying crowd.

so after the Divi tour, we went to SM MOA and have dinner in Tempura, then later on I almost die of the yummy treat at Starbucks.

more photos at cool items, buddha, food, toys in Divisoria