Gran Torino - my movie review


Gran Torino

I'm not much a fan of Clint Eastwood, but I know some of his good movies and I always remember that me and my dad, sometimes with my mom too, watched some cool movies starrring Clint Eastwood, playing as a cop, vigilante, a father, or sometimes thief. But here in his first film role, after the Oscar winning film "Million Dollar Baby". Clint Eastwood is back again in the big screen as a bad ass and grumpy old war veteran who lives in a neighborhood and the world that is rapidly changing. Can you fit old school to new school, or can you blend with traditional to the new style? The movie will definitely lift up your seat laughing and might remind you of your funny grand father or dad who tries to complain so many things, esp. in seeing liberated kids in this era. ( more on my movie review below)



Gran Torino movie will be available in Philippine cinemas on February 18.

The Good
I like the movie and because I enjoyed seeing grumpy and funny grand dads, and it reminds me more of my grand father who used to talk to me about the times during the World War II. And I can see here that Clint Eastwood grumpyness and bitterness make us relate that sometimes old folks are still in the traditional way and want to be left alone, but not all of them are like that. The movie is some kind of comedy for me, but in other side of seriousness, it shows some lessons about life and death, family, Hmong and asian culture, racism and religion. You'll get to know that how bad ass the character of Clint Eastwood here, and some scenes has a lot of symbolism. Its a movie that will make the audience think and decide on what will happen next. I was expecting something on the end, but it left me all wrong or maybe some of the audience think that it will be a gang war vs. war veteran action flick.The story fell after a few rounds of drama and funny moments. I think this movie is like an art film..well sort of, tribute to Hmong people, and its an educational film on to understand and remember that we all breath in the same air.




The Bad
I can't really blame Clint Eastwood on this. But I just read some reviews few weeks ago that some of the actors, mostly teens in the movie are acting so bad. And I aggree with them. But during the movie, I just removed that technical stuff on acting 101 and it made me survived till the end. The part of the angry Tao is not hmm really good. But still shows that he can act and portray a good sidekick sort of to the character of Clint Eastwood. The movie revolves on too much character development, but I know the reason why they focus on one person only, and you'll experienced it that the movie doesn't focus on Clint Eastwood. Its the car!!! they are talking about the Gran Torino.



The Over all
The movie is nice and I enjoyed it. I suggest you remove all your film making knowledge and acting experiences hahaa, but its a fun movie, and some of my friends went out of the cinema crying after a heart warming moment of the film. Old Clint Eastwood fans might not like this movie, but the movie is for TEENS and young adults. Perfect to educate young ones and but its impossible for them to watch this because it is not marketed for teens. Parents should bring their kids with them in watching this film.

and yes..I highly recommend that you should see this film



The commentary
I love Clint Eastwood! and now I'm a Yum Yum fan ahhahaa





My Ratings

http://www.k-netweb.net/blog/datas/2005/11/08/banana-dance.gifhttp://www.k-netweb.net/blog/datas/2005/11/08/banana-dance.gifhttp://www.k-netweb.net/blog/datas/2005/11/08/banana-dance.gifhttp://www.k-netweb.net/blog/datas/2005/11/08/banana-dance.gif
4 out of 5 banana dance