Comic books, Toys and Investments ( interview portion)

http://images.popazrael.multiply.com/image/6/photos/607/500x500/59/PB220174.jpg?et=l7Lu01%2BBQxN7urshJ5t8DA&nmid=137896520

I'm publishing the unedited version of the interview that was pubished in Business World, and thanks to Jo Poblete for interviewing me, I'm posting my whole answers here, fully unedited, it may help people who are researching in investing their money with comics and toys, and it is a great read for people who want start as a comics and toy collector.

1. how long have you been collecting, what sparked off the collection? do you still have the first batch that you collected and how much has it appreciated?

I still collect toys and action figures, it all started when I collect comics again during my early days of high school till college days, and because that there is already an easy access to comics and stores popping out in malls, the availability of toys and comics are easy to acquire on those days, I think the year was 1993. And yes, I still have the first batch of collectibles items of comics and toys, and I didn’t do the math for its value,but for me, the early batch of collectibles is very valuable, because the stocks of old items are no longer available today.
( Read more below)

2. do you keep it in specialized containers in a room of its own or is it just casually grouped in a living space? is this usually the case with fellow collectors?

During my early hobby, I use to place my collection in a glass cabinet, while some of them are displayed in my room, I created a wall full of action figures on top of bed, me and brother build that having our own semi-comics –toy store look inside the room, and my sister’s Barbie collection is displayed on the other side, we call our room, as the play room. Today, I store all my old collections in one box, and because that we already moved to a small place after my family migrated to the USA, I left the box of toys at my home, while new toys and collectible stuff are now stored in a big display glass cabinet, which I display it inside our study room here in Cavite. I like to display it inside the glass cabinet, it is a lot more easy to store, love to appreciate it by looking at it and also to keep It away form dust and dirt.


3. could you categorize your collection (do you do it by storyline, edition, source or publisher, country of origin, monetary value, personal memories/associations)? if someone were to appraise it for acquisition, what would be the offer price?

I categorize my collection according to its toy line and title, in one level I have lots of Transformers, one the 2nd level I put those big action figures and designer toys, on the last level some toys from comics and movie. Since I don’t have much space to store everything, I put the most valuable and important items on the second level. If someone will buy everything, I’m not sure if it will reach at around 100,000 pesos. I mean if you sum up everything I have. But I haven’t counted it yet, but maybe that’s an idea for a price.

http://images.popazrael.multiply.com/image/2/photos/601/500x500/6/PB180066.jpg?et=e7I27D9ail5Gr1vG8CtALw&nmid=136476072

4. within your collection (a) what would you sell off if you absolutely had no choice and needed the money? (b) what would you not sell, whatever the price? (c) what would you have insured?

1. I might sell those items that are easy to find and acquire to some stores and other collectors, I did sell some in the past and mint in box toys are easy to dispose to buyers and collectors.
2. I will not sell those toys who are given to me as gifts, rewards and favorite ones, because those items have sentimental value to me and it is very important, I almost sold one item, but for the last minute looking at it, I decided to keep it and told the buyer that I changed my mind.
3. I haven’t tried that yet, but maybe if ever I got a super collectible on hand, maybe I can put an insurance to it, but for now, It is a big no for the moment. Will use insurance to other priorities and not for material things.

5. if you have P500,000 minimum to spend on comics and comic-related merchandise, what else would you buy? why that in particular? why are these better investments than gold (in the form of jewelry or watches) or a piece of land or blue chip stocks or even another piece of art like a painting?

If I have a big amount of money like 500k, I will buy those movie props and items, those are very expensive and it has value, it comes with a certificate of authenticity, and it is a good investment to start with. But for collecting it, movie props are the hard core level for collectors. It is a good investment because there are buyers and also collectors, same goes to gold owners, land owners, and art painting collectors. There will be a demand for it, because there is an existing collectors, industry, community and market for these hobby.
http://images.popazrael.multiply.com/image/2/photos/601/500x500/4/PB180064.jpg?et=Offh89hTNINKCFrb%2CY4IUQ&nmid=136476072

6. when did you realize that this could be a viable business and how did you go about it? how do you separate personal and business interests? do you collect now simply as an extension of your interest, or do you really look at it as an investment? if it comes down to it, are you buying for love or for profit? :)
After collecting so many stuff, I just discovered that it can be a good business, I just read in some magazines like Wizard, they have a price guide there posted every issue, just to update everyone on the value of each comics, and because there is an existing market for the hobby, I started to trade it and sell some of it, which result to a very good sales, doubling the price of the item. I just do it for personal matters and not focus it more as a business, because I tried already having a business and it made me crazy and left me dead tired doing it, because the demand is high and the flow of customers are non stop. I still collect, but not entire all, I learned a lot during my early years of collecting, and I target the toys or comics that is close to my heart, means that I only buy and collecting those items I like, If I want it, I will surely have it. And I do buy it for love, because starting from 1 collection is not enough, the love is for the hobby and the joy of collecting it. Collect them all as they say, and as an adult, I still play with it and I super enjoy it.

7. would you say that you have a lot of competition in this area, looking for the same stuff? how would you profile the serious collector (age, income bracket, knowledge)?

Acquiring an item in a local store is very hard, there are also buyers who collects and buy the same thing, the real competition is to get the item while supply lasts, and the collectible hunt is part of the world of this hobby, its like a treasure hunt, find and search for your own gold or hit a jackpot. Serious collectors are those people who have stable jobs, because that they have the money and good income from their work, they have time and money in acquiring all these items, while others are from parents who still support the hobby of their kids, while others are in the same line of business for comics and toys.

8. in your experience, when's the best time to buy and sell? what would be the best channels? would you auction it or go directly to the buyer?

Best time to buy and sell items are in events and conventions, many people go here just to buy or sell their items, I always attend events and convention, or I even organize one for everyone, the items are already there and sometimes the price has a good deal, or the jackpot or gold item of toys can be found in there. The real treasure hunt really begin inside an events and conventions. Also perfect time to buy and sell is during Christmas day. Sometimes I hit a good price deal in some auctions, and it is best to observe first and research more about the price of the item, if the price is good, buy it!, because having a special price for events like auctions are very rare, where can you find a figure which is priced in an auction at Php 5,000, but the original price of it is Php 10,000. It is a lot more better to deal directly to sellers and not to middle persons who handle the transaction, sometimes you can get discounts from direct sellers.
9. if you were to advise someone entering this kind of field purely as an investor, what would you suggest they do? would you be willing to act as "broker"?

If an investor likes to enter this kind of business, I suggest that they should research more about the hobby and be part of it. Because this business is added with fun, but on the serious side, all items are very fragile, and quality affects the price on each items. I am willing to be a broker, if the item is good and has potential in selling it, then if the price is right, I can easily market it and also do business from it.
http://images.popazrael.multiply.com/image/2/photos/601/500x500/8/PB180068.jpg?et=l5WjQ4n0p0Y9oapwZRh4kA&nmid=136476072

10. if you could collect something else outside the comic universe, what would that be? why?
I love CARS and Trucks…. If ever I have a lot of money, I will collect vintage cars and custom trucks. Its one of my dreams and it will stay only as a dream hahhahaa.