I'm going now to the sushi bar with Shonen Knife (get ready for their free concert)

P2258780
I finally met the legendary Japanese punk pop rock band Shonen Knife, and I really got so genki when I saw them first enter the press con room. I'm amazed at Naoko as the band's heart and soul, she still got the energy and motivation to continue the band even that two of the original members already quit and replaced with two new members. Etsuko for drums who joined in 2003 and Ritsuko for bass joined the band in 2008. I got a chance to interview them during the press con and happy to know that Naoko can speak and understand English. I really want to talk in Japanese that time, but I got scared that it might deliver the wrong grammar, but I confess to them that I'm a big fan since 1997 and I'm happy that they are really here infront of me.

My interview was very short, and because other press and media asked the same questions that I prepared, it took me another round of minutes to have a new one. My 1st question was about how Shonen Knife become a one of a kind band and what qualities that can influence their followers, Naoko told me that being Shonen Knife is unique, and with their kind of music that is mostly inspired from American punk rock, the main reason to be unique because of rock music. Then my last question was, what are their observation about Japan's music scene and industry during the past and the present, because Shonen Knife survived different kinds of music evolution in Japan and they even started during the 80's, Naoko simply clears that the mainstream music in Tokyo is a lot more different in the music they have in Osaka, the big music industry in Tokyo rapidly change and different kinds of new artist continues to pop out with their new sounds and arrangements, but with that change in Tokyo, they are not affected in Osaka because they are in located in a different place in Japan, the music scene in Osaka are still raw, independent and very underground, they still grow and maintain Shonen Knife's status in Osaka.

There's also a funny moment during the press con, one member of the media ask them how they feel performing in a morning tv show of ABS CBN, and Naoko laugh and told us that it is their first time to perform live on TV in early time of the morning, because in Japan , they have no morning tv shows. But here in the Philippines, they woke up soooooo early just to do a live act on tv, but they are amazed on the reaction of the audience to love their music and that was just only 1 song. Ritsuko and Etsuko laughed, I think they can't believe waking up at 3am and go to the tv network office at 4am.

I took photos of them and asked for a group shot with me, Naoko wants to grab my camera, but I told her its okay, I can take a picture all of us in one click, and then I showed them our group photo and its so cute to hear and see them say "hooooooooooo" amazement "sugoi" words. Its fun to see them in person, I geek out as  a giggling fan boy this afternoon and this meet up is very memorable for me.

yay! Banana chips... oh yeah!!!
P2258779

Shonen Knife will have a free concert for all this February 27, 2010 at 7:30pm at the San Miguel By the bay, SM Mall of Asia. Pedicab will also perform at the concert ground before the main act.

more photos below

P2258778
Naoko, Etsuko and Ritsuko

P2258781
Lace, Kim and RG

P2258771

P2258775
Ms. Apple of Cebu Pacific,  Shonen Knife, Ms. Millie Dizon of SM malls and Ben Suzuko of Japan Foundation, Manila office

All 2010 Nihongo Fiesta events are open to the public. For inquiries, contact JFM at (02) 811-6155 or email@jfmo.org.ph. The 2010 Nihongo Fiesta is made possible with the support of the Embassy of Japan, Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JCCI), HP, Cebu Pacific, Team Manila Graphic Design, Dimensione, The Japanese Association Manila, the Association of Filipino Nihongo Teachers (AFINITE), SM The Block, SM Megamall, and media partners, Manila Bulletin, NU 1o7 and ClicktheCity.com.

Cebu Pacific flies to Osaka every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday, with the lowest, possible year-round fare of P5,499. The Airbus A320 service departs Manila at 2:20 pm and return from Osaka at 7:20 pm. Passengers can book and buy flights through www.cebupacificair.com or call 70-20-888. Cebu Pacific also flies to 32 Philippine island destinations.