Iron Man 2 - my movie review without my arc reactor battery (SM Mall of Asia IMAX theater , Manila Philippines April 28, 2010)


my post in facebook after stepping out of the cinema, post 1, post 2

I finally saw the movie at the "grand world audience premiere" of Iron Man 2 at the IMAX Theater in SM Mall of Asia, the Philippines is the first screening of the film and the US release will be a around May 7.

I say that it was the craziest idea to enter the cinema 1 1/2 hour before the show and it was my plan to get the good seat in the house and you know that watching the movie in IMAX theater in a lower eye level is very uncomfortable to my eyes, so my best recommended seat in IMAX is letter J18 (obviously, that's my seat).

The movie started so fast and didn't noticed that I'm watching already the intro of Iron Man 2, I didn't mind the short intro and heard voices in the background, I thought it was only a movie trailer, and when I heard the name Tony Stark, I started to seat properly and ready myself to watch the most anticipated film this summer. And after the voices, comes the flipping comic book pages and that big Marvel Comics logo appearing infront of me. I won't discuss the whole movie here and I like to inform you that THIS IS NOT A SPOILER MOVIE BLOG and REVIEW.

I will make myself careful and never spill too much details of Iron Man 2. I'll just post my comments and slight review of the movie, and after a few weeks after I arrive in Boracay, I will post some hidden clues or something that will make the year 2012 more exciting, it was like looking for the hidden Mickey, but as Selina Gecolea, General Manager of UIP Philippines told us in her opening speech, "dont leave the cinema, or take a fast bathroom break and come back, because there's a clue at the end of end of credits and this is the most important part for the upcoming movie projects of Marvel".

So after the movie, and the end credits, nobody left the cinema, and I even clap my hands after few end of credits and then the screen went black...and there!!!! omg omg! ~ end of my fanboyism moment. Okay, lets quit that, and lets go on for my 52% of my blood in this movie review.

The short review
The movie is starting to get serious and I left like watching that Spider-man 2 movie, but the different side for Iron Man 2 is that the emotions and feelings of each character will have a tremendous effect to you, it means that the situation is real in life and it is not just a story for a superhero or villain, there's a message about family and the so called - in having great powers comes great responsibility, but Tony Stark is not Spider-man, he is Iron Man! I really like the intro of the movie and this will raise question who is the real villain in the movie and who is the hero behind the armor.

The movie is like a moving comics again, with lots of dialogues and for me it was like reading the Super Secret Ultimate Origins of Iron Man..and etc!

I have a feeling that the Iron Man 2 movie took place before Incredible Hulk and if you don't believe me, then I dare you watch the movie and check out the last part after the end of credits. I noticed some continuity errors in the film, but I won't reveal it here and I will watch it again and check it out after one week and will confirm it in my next movie review. The action is like WAR! yeah! in the tv spot trailer we see in YouTube, the Iron Man and War Machine back to back battle with some droids is a sure winner! we finally see them in the flesh and that's what we've been waiting for since the first movie.

For the acting of the new actors, I don't have any complains, Don Cheadle as Lt. Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes did a fine acting and it made me forget Terrence Howard from the 1st movie, Don really fits to be War Machine and I want to see him back again. Scarlett Johansson as Natalia Romanova / Black Widow is the eye candy in the movie, I won't spoil you, but just keep your eye on her. Gwyneth Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts lost its glow, and I think she got beaten by the Black Widow, I'm more interested to see her again in the next movie. Mickey Rourke as Ivan Vanko / Whiplash will make you understand his character and never think that he is bad or trying to be like Iron Man, Mickey Rourke's body built is not useful here and his looks is more appreciated, but his character and that Russian accent make me wobble my head and think that..wow! that's a fine script, and finally, Robert Downey, Jr., as Tony Stark / Iron Man is still the perfect actor to be Iron Man, I heard that the story line for part 3 is from the comics "Demon in the bottle", but after watching part 2, I can say that the story is no longer fit for part 3, I feel that he is ready to battle The Mandarin.

Through out the movie, I'm not sure if Stan Lee is present, there are too many people in the movie, if you saw him, please tell me what scene, and I will watch it again. hmm hey! I'm going to watch this again.

Watch it in IMAX! there are some scenes that blows up the whole screen of IMAX and it was lovely, not even sure if the whole IMAX screen was used for 3 or 4 times. But I love it! esp. the sky diving scene. About the film rating, don't worry.. the movie is kid friendly and it is perfect for the entire geek and non geeky family.

My rate and grade for Iron Man 2 is
4 out of 5 - for the excitement
3 out of 5 - for the movie
5 out of 5 - for the story ( fantastic and brilliant move to have a comic-movie-tie in, because the entire movie is not yet done, and let's wait til 2012)

Watch Iron Man 2 on April 30, 2010, showing in all Philippine theaters

Thanks to Solar UIP for the awesome invitation!