A visit at Sto. Nino de Tondo festival and church

P1151138

I just knew about the Sto. Nino de Tondo festival and events last year when my mom told me that we used to go to mass in the Tondo church when I was a youngling, I can't remember it but she told me that I grew up with this old religious statue that we have at home, an old Sto. Nino statue that was bought there in Tondo, maybe around the late 70's or early 80's. She told me about the festival in Tondo . I thought that the festival happens only in Cebu's Sinulog Festival. I was lucky to be in Tondo yesterday for a photo scavenger hunt for "Wikipedia Takes Manila" activity, I was with 3 bloggers and I act as a guide to them across the labyrinth of Manila. I remember that I roam around in Tondo during high school days (yeah..sorry mom, I was with high school classmates visiting a girl classmate who lives there).

When we arrive in Tondo, me and my companions were blocked by this procession or parade of town people carrying lots of Sto. Nino in different size and kind. I was happy that even that I don't have a chance to attend their Sunday festival, I can still feel the impact of the Sto. Nino fest and the devotees even on a Saturday and felt that it was Sunday, looking at those Sto. Nino statues are cute, some are in small size and the others were a around 2 feet, and others are a size of a toddler. It was a fun visit in Tondo and hope I can make another visit next year.

more photo and story below


I found and read this little trivia on the net about the Sto.Nino de Tondo
Itinuturing isang milagro ng mga deboto ng Santo Nino de Tondo ang biglang paghinto ng malakas na ulan sa ilang bahagi ng Luzon noong 1972 nang maibalik sa simbahan ang ninakaw nitong imahe.

Nalubog sa baha ang Metro Manila at ilang lugar sa Central Luzon tulad ng Pampanga noong Hulyo 1972 dulot ng malakas na pag-ulan. Nagkataon na ang malakas na ulan ay naganap matapos nakawin ang imahe ng Sto Nino sa simbahan ng Tundo.

Ang Sto Nino na kahoy ang katawan ngunit ivory ang kamay at mukha ay ibinigay sa mga Pinoy ng mga Kastila mula sa Acapulco, Mexico noong 1570s.

Hindi naglaon, nakita ang katawan ng Sto Nino ngunit wala na ang mukha at kamay nito sa Manuguit, Tundo na hindi kalayuan sa simbahan.

Nag-alok ng tulong si dating First Lady Imelda Marcos upang mabawi ang nawawalang bahagi ng Sto Nino na pansamantalang ibinahay sa Malacanang.

Matapos ipanawagan ang nawawalang bahagi ng katawan ng Sto Nino, ibinalik ng nakabili ang kamay at mukha ng Sto Nino noong Agosto (1972)- ngunit patuloy pa rin ang pag-ulan.

Mula sa Malacanang, binagtas ng mga deboto ang baha sa Maynila upang ibalik sa simbahan sa Tundo ang Sto Nino. Sinasabing pagkalapag ng imahe sa pwesto nito sa simbahan ay agad na huminto ang ulan na parang walang nangyari. - GMANews.TV
P1151133 P1151134
People of Tondo brought their Sto. Nino statues infront of the church, others are riding at the back of their pedicab and pushed carts

P1151137 P1151141
it was a hot and warm temperature at 3pm, there's a long queue of line forming besides the church.

P1151135 P1151142
the streets were filled with Sto. Nino vendors, devotees and lots of pedicabs

P1151143 P1151144
here I am roaming around the church and found Plaza Hernandez

P1151147 P1151167
Sto. Nino de Tondo church stands infront of me, if my memory is correct, this is my 3rd time to be here during the times I can remember it during high school and college days. I also saw this GMA news van parked on the other side of the plaza.

P1151177
A cute Sto. Nino statue carrying our flag

P1151168 P1151170
Its a non stop drum beat parade standing infront of the long line of people

P1151171 P1151174
More Sto. Ninos

P1151179 P1151189
others are carrying their statues in their pedicabs while others are in the normal and traditional way of carrying it on their shoulders. Here's also a view of Plaza Hernadez infront of Sto. Nino de Tondo Church

P1151187
Tondo people smiled and wave at me and shouts "Viva Sto. Nino!"