Gnomeo and Juliet movie review

image 
Here’s my review of the animated movie – Gnomeo and Juliet, I just got off from my seat after watching a special press screening in Columbia Pictures Phil. private theater, and I love the Digital 3D effects, I advice that you see this film with a digital 3D glasses, its a funny and epic tale in a very tiny scale. Opening across the Philippines on April 13 in Digital 3D and regular format, “Gnomeo & Juliet” is distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures International.. Read my review below

We've read, heard or seen Romeo and Juliet, a play written by William Shakespeare over and over again with different settings,theme, set up and treatment, but here in the animated movie Gnomeo and Juliet gives a different take and inspiration based from Romeo and Juliet, but the different is that this movie aimed for big audiences and also a start for kids to get a glimpse of Romeo and Juliet. The characters are our garden gnome statue, those dwarf looking people with beard with color red or blue hats, garden owners put them in their garden as an ornament and some say that the gnomes magically turn alive at night and when their garden owners are out and their duty is to guard the plants and flower in the garden.

Ok that's a short introduction about gnomes, Let's go back to the movie "Gnomeo and Juliet", the story is much the same like in Romeo and Juliet, families are in feud and then two lovers blooms and sided on their own family side, and then..oh wait..do I really need to narrate about Romeo and Juliet?! ok let's skip that part..The story is simply like that.

The movie is very cute and for me looks like a perfect movie date with your partner. I feel butterflies again after seeing the mushy scenes and cute moments when Gnomeo and Juliet meet in the other side out of their homes. The movie is a great immortalization of Romeo and Juliet with a powerhouse cast of voice actors including James McAvoy as Gnomeo, Emily Blunt as Juliet, Michael Caine as the lord of the red gnomes, Maggie Smith as the leader for the blue gnomes, Jason Statham as Tybalt red gnome and its funny that we jumped in our seats after seeing the credits and voice actors includes Patrick Stewart, Hulk Hogan and even Ozzy Osbourne is in there. If you don't want to be spoiled by the movie, I suggest don't read the full transcript of the story at Wikipedia, because the glory of this film is the 3D and CGI animation used for the animated movie. I like the effects of the visuals, but the more impressive part is that the movie with awesome visuals and a nice soundtrack will make you believe that gnomes magically brought back to life and they live in their own community, well, I can now think that our garden plants talks to each other while we are asleep, same goes to our garden statues and thanks to Gnome and Juliet movie.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5308/5561070950_e0eb5258e6_b.jpg
Elton John new and classic songs will be heard in this movie, it brings an added romantic feel for the movie and I know audiences will be reminded to fall in love again, Elton John is the executive producer for this movie, using his songs and music give a great impact and importance for the movie and after hearing it you’ll be inlove again, I guess that’s the big message of the movie for me, I felt to be inlove again and it reminded me the old memories when me and my partner first met and the honey moon stage started and until we started to fight, decides and think together and then live forever. We know that the Romeo and Juliet has a tragic part, its a big question mark for me when I’m watching this movie if they will show a tragic version or a happy version, I will not spoil you for now, but if you want to fall in love again and be inspired, I suggest that you see this film with your partner. Although that the transition in the beginning is so slow and the introduction of each characters will end in the nearly mid part, after I got bored in the 1st part, then there’s a sudden change of interest occurs to me after knowing all the characters, its magically fun that I started to love them now from beginning to end and until I go home and go Google some stuff about gnomes.

When you watch Gnomeo and Juliet, you will forget about the Smurfs, but I like the gnomes now and they bring a different meaning and not only as a garden statue. Touchstone Pictures did a great move in getting Starz Animation to animated all of it, I now wish more for animated made by Starz, and I can include it in my list of animated movie makers sitting beside Pixar and Walt Disney.

If you hated Shakespeare for creating a tragic story of two lovers, then I invite you here to watch and have fun seeing our gnomes in Gnomeo and Juliet movie to tell another story about two lovers with different hat colors.

for my rating, I’ll give it a 4 out of 5 dancing bananas.

for a feature about this movie, check out my post at http://azraelsmerryland.blogspot.com/2011/04/all-about-juliet-movie-opens-on-april.html

my favorite quote from the movie:
“I'm not illiterate! My parents were married!” ( raising with a fisted hand) – Lord Redbrick