THOR movie review ( by an Asgardian squatter)

photo
I attended the press screening of THOR last night in IMAX 3D Theater, SM North Edsa. The character of Thor is my least favorite member of the Avengers, because I don’t like his costume style with that sleeveless top and the way he speaks, thanks to that classic animated series and comic books for introducing Thor to me, but transforming Thor in a real god like character and turning that spandex into an armor is a cool move for Marvel in bringing back the popularity of Thor, I like him better that way like in the Ultimates and reborn of Thor in comic books, but this movie gave me a new perspective to like Thor more and explaining everything with awesome visuals, and ok, Hemsworth fits the role as Thor.
(read the rest of the review below)

The movie has great visual effects, soundtrack and storyline. Its hard to explain everything in one movie, just like the feeling of watching the 1st movie of Fantastic Four, and say in the end part…”yun lang?” I think that I need to blame myself for expecting too much for this movie, but I decided to lower my expectation and savor the happiness I felt in the 1st part of the film were Thor shows his warrior side in a great battle with the Frost Giant and monsters. I really want to see more battle scenes, but the movie should run as the story goes, I think my expectation for Thor is high, because I have the same thing whenever I read comic books especially cross over events in the Marvel Universe, I always give a big focus on what will be the Thunder God’s contribution to that story, what will be his actions…sometimes he’s the savior and powerhouse of the team, releasing thunder and lightning that easily defeats their enemies. But here in the movie, I was brought on the other side of Thor, as an earthling and how he will learn more on being a good king to Asgard from us humans.

Ok that’s a recap and we already know that he will earn again the power of Thor and goes back to Asgard to fight with his ever loving half brother Loki. But from the very start of the movie, I think the movie focuses not only to Thor, but also to his father Odin. I see less exposure of Odin in comic books, and yeah..he sleeps…he showed up in a cloud ranting to Thor…and dies, and come back to life again. You’ll see here how a mighty king with lots of wisdom run the whole Asgard realm and how he loves his two sons and also vice versa. I felt a pinch in my heart when Loki says that he loves his brother..but we know that he is the prince of lies and mischief, even his companions doesn’t believe in him..LOL.., The character portrayed by Tom Hiddleston as Loki is very good, he really digs the style,the look and playfulness of Loki. Okay I’ll won’t discuss the entire movie and the characters, time to move on. But Loki is my favorite character here.

Here are some of my reactions
1. I like the costume design and set used for this movie.
2. I don’t like the costume of Sif and the Warriors three, they look like they’re going to attend a comic convention
3. Check out some scenes where you can spot Stan Lee and Clint Barton aka Hawkeye
4. I like the way they show how the teleportation from Asgard to Earth, that’s the awesome part for me (like a space bridge in the Transformers animation)
5. Its my first time to see Mjolnir in action (in live action), I think the concept of Capt. America’s shield got the concept here (for this movie)
6. I advice you see this movie in a regular format, I didn’t enjoyed the IMAX 3D, not that awesome in 3Dness
7. Natalie Portman is always hot in all geeky films, but I see another side of her here as Jane Foster and wow! really fell in love with Thor
8. S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Coulson looks like the bad guys here, I like the part that he gain lots of scenes and his role in bringing in the Avengers is very important
9. Chris Hemsworth is big!!! yeah super buff and perfect to get the role as Thor (check here Hemsworth is taller than Evans)
10. I flight scenes of Thor, I was expecting that the flight is like from the Superman movies, but here he zips in the sky and flies, and I can’t avoid to imagine that my Thor action figure is flying..ohhkay
11. Darcy is cute …end of comment
12. You should not blink during the battle of Thor and Loki
13. and to end my review….DONT LEAVE YOUR SEATS.. wait til the end of the credits. and you’ll see an epilogue again..that will connect this movie to Captain America and Avengers Assemble movie.
14. I hope that Thor wears his helmet next time..its great to see him wearing a battle helmet, just like in comic books.
15. The explanation behind the connection of different realms and universe is very convincing, I remember that this was explained in Discovery Channel about our universe…. minus Asgard and other fictional worlds.
16. Ok..I reacted too much when I saw this scene

I have mix emotions if I’ll rate this movie, I enjoyed in some part, but I like more scenes in the Asgardian mode, the Earth scenes are little bit boring, but the story is in there and not in Asgard. For me the movie and story of Thor is like a love triangle, dad-son-half brother relationship, its a family thing that everyone is familiar when it deals with family issues and problems (minus magic and god like powers)

Ok my movie rate is

4 out of 5 dancing bananas…for geeky excitement
3 out of 5 dancing bananas for too much expectation

over all…. 3.5 out of 5

I’ll be watching the movie again this Friday…and put my whole heart again for geeky movies, I’ll post another review for that 2nd screening.

Thanks to United International Pictures and SM Cinema for inviting me to watch this awesome movie!
Thor movie will be showing on April 29, 2011 in all Philippine cinemas and also in all SM Cinemas…. IMAX 3D. Digital 3D and standard format.

photo
Here’s a scene were Odin will take away Thor’s power

photo
Three elements of the film – Thor, Odin and Loki

photo
You can bet here if he can lift the hammer or not

photo
A view of Asgard

photo
Thor graduation

photo
Odin’s Throne

photo
Heimdall, guardian of the bifrost bridge

photo
Loki… I saw this still photo and I can’t remember if this was on the scene.. could be for the uncut edition on DVD

photo
The Destroyer

Okay that’s for now..Im still deciding..if I’ll buy these

photo
Electronic THOR figure

photo
Electronic Mjolnir scale replica