On Photography

Have you dabbled in photography? Ever wondered if you can replicate those lovely photos you so admire in magazines and displayed at museums? I do have a penchant for the arts and there is no denying I love looking at beautiful and compelling photos. So much so I am now partly spending time learning more on how to be a master photographer.

I got my SLR camera a few months ago after I begin noticing how my non-photographer friends seem to have crispier and awesome casual photos. I discovered it was the equipment so I became determined to graduate from my old but reliable digital camera. The decision was timely as I now have a child who I can practice my photography skills on.

But aside from taking photos of my son's milestones, I began experimenting with various subjects. I am not an outdoor type of person so nature was definitely out. I was limited to things I can find and are happening indoors. Thus, for some time I became the designated photographer of the family. Responsible for capturing those momentous events like birthdays and holidays. I appreciated the opportunity to learn and hone my craft. And my family is quite easy to please and happy for the free service I render.

I am now working on my wife's costume jewelry collection. She has acquired quite a few interesting pieces over the years that I guess I'd like to further immortalize through photography. The inspiration came when I happen to come across Compton & Woodhouse. The company is noted for their expertise in taking masterful shots of jewelries. Something I aspire to acquire someday. The brilliance of stones and gems and even the shimmer of gold make jewelries a tricky subject to photograph. And it does takes a lot of knowledge and skill to capture the beauty and essence of every piece. And I am just realizing that now.

But still I do want to give my wife's treasures their due justice. So I continue to try. And with time and effort I am sure I'll get there soon.

Do you have any tips on taking beautiful shots of jewelries?