5 days in Medical City with Ash

CIMG1554
We have already plans of going out on the following weekend, I even heard that my wife want to eat in a nice resto and have our own mini food tour, and then we also plan to go shopping for baby items for that upcoming Baby fair event, but everything changes and our plan didn’t pushed through, two days ago before that weekend, my wife and baby Ash got sick, I was in Manila that night attending some meeting and my wife texted me that both of them are sick. I told her that it might be the cold weather that evening that causes the chills and mild fever.

After I arrived home and went to bed, then my wife came into the room and woke me up and she said that baby Ash is having a fever, we gave some medicines to him right away and we got worried that this might be another fever episodes that we experienced last May 2011, so in the next morning, Ash is okay and active, but he keeps on refusing to eat his meal and spits out of the food he ate. Then at night he gets the fever again and now the worry came back again, on the next day, we decided to take Ash for a medical check up, then the doctors ordered a CBC just to make sure what’s the cause of the fever, then they told us that the result of the CBC will be available on Sunday and if Ash became sick again we should bring him back to Medical City.

I was suppose to go to Baguio on that weekend, an assignment came in and it require me to travel and stay there for two days, but then my wife requested that I should stay because we are not yet sure if Ash will be sick again and we have to wait for the medical results of the CBC. So I stayed here at home and then we got a call that the CBC is available, after a call from the doctor, and the findings are so familiar, Ash’s white blood cell count increases and it means that there’s an ongoing infection through his body, we decided to travel from Cavite to Medical City, and the plan of going there is a last minute plan, our family driver is out of town that day and the only choice we have to do is travel via bus.

CIMG1547
It was like having a little family outing, Ash riding the public bus for the first time, I’m glad that there’s a one way ride going to Ortigas. After the doctor’s check up, we decided to confine baby Ash in the hospital, so that we can have peace of mind and be sure that he is in good hands. So that’s day 1 in Medical City.

Day 2 came in and the findings of the 3rd CBC reveals that Ash’s white blood cells starts to increase more, so we allow the nurse put an I.V. to Ash, I was not around when they plug that needle with hose to him, I just can’t watch him cry and scream….but I’m glad I wasn’t there..I might even cry too. I just prayed here at home that everything will be fine and okay. When I arrive in the hospital, I saw Ash tired and saw the I.V. plugged to his right hand covered with a disposable diaper for protection. The challenge started when Ash tried to remove the diaper from his hand and became annoyed with it, he also want to walk around, run and even jump in the bed, we have no choice but to carry him and play with him, we brought all our gadgets – laptop, smartphone, tablet and portable dvd player, just to give him some entertainment while waiting for full recovery.

CIMG1570

Day 3 , Same day, same activity, we are still waiting for the blood test and bacteria culture just to know what trigger that fever and white blood cell increase. I got worried again that hospital expenses are increasing too, but I didn’t even think of it again and all I want is that my baby boy’s recovery back to health. But I’m very impressed that the medical finding and procedures to search for an answer to all our puzzles in Medical City are like from those tv series and movies, I understand that the blood tests and bacteria culture are a very important role in our case, and it also answered my question that their laboratory test are so expensive. I know they have the right equipment to do all those things, so I’m sure the bacteria culprit will be identified.

Day 4 – it is a big requirement for me to be there in the hospital with my wife because the doctor will visit us an reveal the findings from Ash’s blood. I did some research before that day on the net about the causes of the increase of white blood cells, it explained on Wikipedia that there are ongoing infections on the blood cause by virus and cancer. I got so worried when I read that and when I talked to Lace on Gtalk, she got worried too that night and she doesn’t want to research it on the internet on the cause of that white blood cell increase. She didn’t know that I already read some information and that worries me too much and the sleepless night begins.

That night was like a roller coaster… I had a dream and it was very weird dream..my dream sequence reveals that my best friend back in my elementary days died, and the setting is that we are already on our adult life. We haven’t met again after graduating elementary back in 1990, and it was an eerie setting that I visited his wake and I was with my wife and baby. And then after that dream..I woke up and head to back to the hospital.

The doctors told us that they found a bacilli bacteria in Ash’s blood, the bacteria is from a virus and it infects Ash’s system causing some kind of sore throat and fever, but when the host of the virus is sleeping, the virus can evolve and mutate into other disease. Both are good news to us, the bacteria has been found, the antibiotics needed has been administred to Ash, and then Ash’s blood became normal. It was like Christmas for us when we heard that Ash can go home tomorrow.

Day 5 – I’m very excited to bring Ash home, and I know he is excited too, we fix our stuff and then wait for some papers, pay the hospital bills, and Ash became energetic again after the I.V. was removed from his hand. Thanks to the doctors and nurses of Medical City for doing a great job, thanks also to the food delivery guy for bringing in yummy hospital food.

We learned a lot of lessons here, and I hope this incident will never happen again, all we need to do is that we should not let other people or kids to touch or kiss our baby, sometimes even that the person is healthy and having no signs of any disease, if they came from a crowded place or expose with many people, they can be good carried of different kind of viruses. These viruses can stick to our body and can be transferred by physical contact, by cough, using the same utensils, and kissing.

Just watch the movie – CONTAGION and you’ll understand what I’m saying.

IMG498
Today is Day 6 and we’re happy that our baby boy Ash is back again and he smiles a lot and loves to bug me while I’m working here at home, he carries his books and jump on my lap and want me to read books with him. Thanks to God that he is fine, my prayers are answered and thanks to Him and to also to my friends who prayed.

Btw, my elementary best friend is alive and okay, I visited his Facebook page and he is alive and healthy and now working in Batanes…. Wow!!!