CAT B15Q smartphone–the rugged phone perfect for the handyman and outdoor person (unbox and review)

DSC_0031

When you mean rugged, it means that it is waterproof and dustproof, plus it can withstand a lot of beating or drop. That’s the main feature of this smartphone from CAT. We know CAT or Caterpillar as a manufacturer and distributor of construction machineries and not only that, they also bring the best tools and gears for construction. But for 2014, we encountered this new mobile device with the CAT label, it’s the first smartphone from CAT that is designed and modeled perfect for construction people, handyman or for outdoor adventurous person.

The CAT B15Q is the first rugged smartphone from CAT, with the logo and brand name, I got the first impression that this smartphone is heavy duty and unbreakable, with that logo of CAT, I felt that this phone might be built for the construction people, but then when I learned that the phone is waterproof and dustproof…or lets say, completely weatherproof, I realized that this phone is perfect for the outdoor people and adventurers, because we need a smartphone that can live with dust, dirt, rain, flood or even mud.

When I met the distributor of CAT phones – Cable Access Tech, they mentioned to me that their target market for this phone are the engineers, construction head and the corporate collared guys, I told them that they can also target the extreme adventurers and also the “dads” who are looking for the best phone that can take a lot of beating, like ME!!! I want this phone and I’m ready to replace my android phone with the CAT phone. It’s a bit bulky and thick, but my main catch here is that the durability and its phone-of-steel feature.

Price --
The SRP of CAT is PHP 15,990 and this is not yet available in the local market here in the Philippines. It will be available soon this 2015, but if you want to buy one and want to order this CAT B15Q smartphone, just drop me an email or comment and I will refer you to the official distributor.

For the price range of PHP15k, its quite okay for me, but with the body feature of steel and the awesome power of Android, you know that your money is paying for the right thing.


let me show you my unboxing and also tech specs of CAT B15Q

Tech specs:
body : silver anodized aluminum
touch screen: scratch registant Corning Gorilla glass
OS: Android 4.4 KitKat
Processor: 1.3ghz quad core Media Tek
screen size: 4 inches
Display: 4 inches WVGA (480x800) capacitive multi-touch
camera: 5MP rear with flash / VGA front
IP67 certified dustproof
battery: 2000 mah
talk time: up to 16 hours
standy by: 21 days
Sim: dual sim
with Wifi and bluetooth
Memory: ROM flash 4GB / 1 GB RAM / can be extended up to 32 GB
more specs here at http://catphones.com/phones/b15q-smartphone/

DSC_0003

The box

DSC_0006

yeah..I just want to show you guys our CAT payloader toy hahahah

DSC_0008

inside the box

DSC_0009

Here’s the CAT B15Q

DSC_0013

Inside the box

DSC_0014

There’s an instruction sticker under the cover. It’s a manual on how to open the battery casing
and also how to use the lock

DSC_0016

The 2000 mah battery

DSC_0019

Dual sim slot and the memory card slot


DSC_0020

inserting the battery

DSC_0021

Battery attached.

DSC_0017

all locked up

DSC_0024

Ready to power it up…but first I have to remove the sticker on the screen

DSC_0025

Here’s the main booting sequence and logo of CAT

DSC_0028

Waiting to finish to the boot up

DSC_0029

Android is here….

DSC_0031

CAT B15Q is preloaded with lots of apps
majority are from Google. I also noticed that there are some apps from CAT

DSC_0032

Here’s my main screen, I have to place my email, FB and Instagram here at the main screen.

DSC_0033

Here’s what inside the 2nd screen

DSC_0034

DSC_0036

About the phone

DSC_0040

Navigating the Play Store

DSC_0045

Checking the CAT app. its just a CAT phone info and also…

DSC_0046

Gateway to contact the CAT supplier if you want to buy or rent some machines

DSC_0047

Reading my blog via CAT B15Q

DSC_0051

The Gorilla Glass….

DSC_0052

Side body of the CAT B15Q, all are bolted in the alum steel to withstand any damage and to make it waterproof

DSC_0053

The top of the phone, the headphone jack got its own rubber cover

DSC_0054

The volume control

DSC_0056

How I handle the rugged smartphone

DSC_0058

69.5 mm wide
14.95mm thick
125 cm in height
DSC_0059

Always make sure that the covers are secured

DSC_0060

The small front camera – VGA only

DSC_0061

the 5MP camera with flash
also you can see the speaker of the phone

DSC_0063

Back case

DSC_0065

Ready to roll…..and accept any drop test challenge


DSC_0083

Drop test 1:


DSC_0092

Drop test 2

DSC_0089

Drop test 3

The alum steel and rubber body protects the smartphone from cracking, it bounces and it lands on the side or body side. I was a bit nervous when I did the the drop test, I throw it in the air, let it drop from my hand and then the last..throw it 6 feet away from me.

DSC_0093

The camera looks okay, with 5 MP specs and with flash
the camera performs better in outdoor

DSC_0094

The video mode is good in outdoor or environment with available sunlight
DSC_0095

here’s the rubber lock for the head phones

DSC_0096

rubber lock for the micro USB

take note that you must lock this properly before using it. Just to guarantee you the waterproof and dustproof feature.

IMG_3394


Here’s how I use the CAT B15Q at home….I use it during my carpentry gig
I created a parol for my son, and I used the CAT B15Q as my device to flash the reference of the Christmas parol.


IMG_3401

I saw a wood and let the smartphone lie on the ground, I got no worries for any smudge on the screen and also its easy to remove the wood powder from the body and screen. What I did is that…I cleaned the phone with water ahahahha.

I’m glad that its water proof

IMG_3402





Review:
The touchscreen feature is superb!! Its very reactive and its super smooth. CAT did a great job on making it fast to scroll and control via the Gorilla glass screen. The quad core processor is also a big thumbs up because that’s the best requirement for a better smartphone. The camera is quite okay, its not good for selfies but the rear can do the photo and video capture whenever you need it for outdoor or in indoor, but for me, its best to use the camera indoor.

I’m a skateboarder, biker, adventure lover and I love rugged stuff, even my wrist watch is rugged with rubber cover…. for me, this is the best rugged Android smartphone for the adventure seekers and also outdoor enthusiast.

I’m now excited to know if ever they will make another version 2 of CAT B15Q