How much money do you spend for data storage?



I was thinking the other day on the money that I’ll use to buy another set of external hard drive to store my one year old data, that is composed of photos, work files, videos, download content and files for my blog. Last time I checked in the market, the price of the external hard drive are around 5k if you will buy a 300GB size and that’a regular size of a hard drive with a nice enclosure, that last external drive that I bought was Maxtor, and it store all my files dating back from 2007-2009. (MORE STORY BELOW)

And then Lace bought this Western Digital external hard drive in slim passport version, much smaller and it is easy to use, according to her that she bought this in Australia with a price of around P3k for a 500 GB size.

But before that, even that I have that old Maxtor external HD, I still go to a store to buy blank DVD R for other data storage purpose, I store there my photos and videos, a perfect storage for me and now I see that my data library is growing big with dates from year 2003-2011, that’s the year when I started to keep all data and secure it for future purposes. I also have those old 1.44 size high density floppy disk, it stays in my other home in Pasig City, but I don’t know what I’m going to do with it, files are from my college years and it also hold some mp3s and download content (most are pics of Sentai and super robots).

I started to wonder that buying storage devices is a must have to everyone, because our daily download of stuff online and upload of photos or videos from our camera needed a secure data storage and sometimes I think if these data storage devices will survive in the next wipe out of the human race, just like what happened to the dinosaurs.

I’m researching now for a nice and heavy duty storage device with lots of storage space, I’m not sure if it is okay to own a 1 terabyte external HD or still stick on the having around less a terabyte, because I hear horror stories from my friends that their storage device with 1TB dies out and all of the data are gone and can’t be recover after it will be formatted. It’s a scary incident for me that’s why I’m staying away from 1TB storage devices, but I can see that 1TB HD are becoming so affordable and unlike the old days that 1TB are the apple of the eyes of all tech freaks and now I even see that 16GB SD card are also available for photographers and digital videographers, and with an affordable price.

I noticed that at arund 5k pesos you can already buy a 1T HD, and Its hard to decide whether I try one and use it to store movies, that why important data will still be safe in a small size external HD, or maybe create a back up of DVD for my photo and video files. Its just a pain in the ass to do this and I really don’t have time to manage all my data. Sometimes all data comes with me and it sleeps inside my laptop, but I limit myself to store data in my laptop with a 4-5 month old files and then back it up via an external HD or DVD. I already lack some space in my two HD and I even borrowed another external HD from the family just to store my 1st 6 months of data of 2011, but I’m still worried that someone might accidentally delete it when they use it here at home, that’s why I’m starting to think and invest more on data storage devices, because it is important to me and to everyone here at home.

A good price deal of P5k seems ok, but I’ll check online and see what are the good 1TB data storage available and if ever it is pricey, a nice DIY style will work. I just did it when I bought that Samsung DVDR, just bought the optical drive and then bought an external enclosure and to calculate all expenses, I saved P2k , but that was 5 years ago, as you can see now that external optical drives are affordable and you can buy them as low as P1.5k in all mainstream stores. But that’s another issue if your laptop’s optical drive is broken and need a replacement right away.

Ahhhh, the wonders of tech, they are so expensive, but hello to year 2011 , and my years when I started to use the computer with DOS 2.0, everything is so cool and more tech coming in the next month.

My next upgrade might be a brand new phone. Take a guess that new model coming for this end of the month. ^___^

So how about you? How much money do you spend for external HD ?


(photo above from Google Images)