Feast of the Black Nazarene 2010 : infront of a sea of people and the Black Nazarene

P1089986
I waited for 2 hours on top of the roof of the underpass in Lawton, Manila, and got this thought to stay here and it is a good spot for taking pictures and a safe zone for the incoming of a sea of people and the Black Nazarene. I just saw some devotees climbing and also photographers above, I decided to climb up and stay there, it was too risky and dangerous to climb up using the custom made iron bar stairs. I'm glad that I have my umbrella to fight the heat of the sun and also got myself a small bottle of mineral water. It keep me alive and cool for 2 hours and standing on top of the roof. I also saw some photographers from the other side of the under pass and looks like that they got a great view of the Nazarene. Because when it arrives, the face of the Nazarene can be seen from their area.

It was a heart thumping scene as I see people get hurt climbing up and pulling the rope of the Black Nazarene. I just noticed too that the place were I stay is getting crowded and full, I manage to stay safe and maintain my balance and prevent myself to fall from the edge of the roof. Full of shouting and tension when group of people tried to grab the rope, while others continue to fight and remain standing and holding the rope. I also observed some of them are praying and looking at the sky as it was like they are talking to God or talking to Jesus to give them strength to stay holding the rope. I also saw females in the sea of people holding the rope, but the youngest female I saw was dragged out of the line after she was spotted going to collapse. Some male devotees climbed up on the carosa of the Nazarene, many of them fell down and the freakiest thing I saw is a guy fell down from the top and landed on the pavement, face down.

P1080060

P1080128
The main marshal on top of the Nazarene guides the people who are pulling the rope and everyone is screaming and shouting "hila!" or "pull!". And then everyone screamed when they saw the carosa moved and everyone raised their hanky and towel and wave it in the air to welcome the grand entrance of Senor Nazareno. It was a great sight for me to witness it, and it is my first time ever to see it in close range, but this is my 2nd run to see it live,but the previous year was just an accident to see it when we gone lost on the route and avoided the procession, but then this year, I plan it myself to see it and pray for my family.


more pics below
P1089901
the procession is here and we can see the Nazarene from here

P1089907
the big crowd is here also, pulling the big rope

P1089913
looks like a warzone

P1089915
i want to give an award to this guy, he is very serious and i saw him praying and looking at the sky. he is the first guy in line pulling the rope.

P1089924
the cute female here is sandwich to 1000 guys, but later on she was pulled out by another guy out of the line

P1089935
raise the rope!

P1089962
many shouted "ocho!" or "8" i dont know the meaning of it if the rope turned into number 8 shape

P1089973
this guy's eyes are closed, maybe he's just resting while holding the rope

P1089977
Senor Nazareno is here!

P1080020
the guys holding and pulling the carriage

P1080025
packed with marshals

P1080026
much heavy and steady carriage.

P1080030
now infront, we can't see the Nazarene, but I can see the body and hands

P1080034
people still want to climb up and touch the statue

P1080040
more towels are being thrown out

P1080056
push and pull

P1080067
marshal leader leads the other end of the rope and told them to push

P1080071
far view from the top of the roof

P1080078
that's me and a few inch to edge of the roof
P1080108
my last and small bottle of mineral water

P1080116
replicas followed on after the Nazarene, kid poses a pic on my cam

P1080140
problem is going down, the iron bar ladder is full of people and this guy who own the stainless fort piera van is generous to let us use it to go down, but i can't do it and looks like I need to jump over it

P1080152
then a garbage truck arrives. a little higher but still hard to maintain my balance

P1080158
i jumped and suffered a sprained armpit and painful balls

P1080159
thanks Leonel!

P1080161
there's the iron bar ladder

P1080163
wow! didn't expected that the front of the roof of the underpass is actually a big screen monitor

P1080165
found some fellow photogs covering the event too.