A story and About A Chair store

P2155478
(top from left) Lit Onrubia, Anj Onrubia
(bottom from left) Nino Caruncho, Nina Camacho, Malen Garcia

I met the 5 people who launched a store few weeks ago in Jupiter st., Makati City, its a store About A Chair, and yes, that's the name of their store that specializes in imported and local made chairs. I learned from them that each chair has a story to tell.

read the full story below

I'm starting to have an itch of owning a vintage cinema chair at home and I saw a piece of it inside the house of a common friend during a party years ago and I also love having an old Jollibee chair, that plastic orange chair that breaks down if you are heavy. The love for chair didn't stop there as I walked inside the store of About A Chair and found that each chair gives their purpose based on design and also there's a story behind that chair.

_RYN8347
I'm not an expert for chairs but I love the style and design that I saw inside their store. Most designs are very familiar to me, I think that some of it appears on TV, movie, magazines, restaurants or hotel. About A Chair store has a wide collection of local and imported chairs, original and replica designs that has good quality materials. According to Nina Camacho, "We try to differentiate ourselves by the colors, the fabric, and the quality of the leather. Like the egg chair, the classic is always red, but most egg chair being sold in Manila are colored red, so we have here our own and have it in orange or in brown color, just to offer the market a new color and material."

a P2155451_stitch
view large pic
Here's my panoramic photo view inside About A Chair store

P2155438
Here's my Optimus Prime mini robot toy sitting in a miniature chair, the store started here as a collector of miniature chair and in the nature of their job as an interior designer. After meeting up a client and do an interior design work, the two party clicked after knowing that they love chairs and then decided to create a store that specializes chairs...and only its About A Chair.

They are also planning to offer custom made chair and restoration of vintage chairs. People can bring their vintage or antique chairs to be restored back like its brand new, they did it with a Barcelona chair, they dip it again to make the metal frame be shiny and replace and fix the damaged fabric. They also have original designs for sale, Nina's sister designs her own chair and she chooses the materials and fabric, this is added in their store and shows the mix of imported and locally made chairs.

P2155428
Barcelona chair

P2155430
The Cigar chair
I tried this chair and sitting down with my leg on the leg rest makes me relax more, I don't know why, but the feeling is great and my back is well supported. I can sleep while sitting, and enjoy my DVD marathon while sitting on this Cigar chair. This chair is priced at around P65k, its an original vintage piece and the store restored it back in shape fixing the frame and shines it back using the original leather cover and metallic pins. It was called a Cigar chair because men always puff their cigar when they sat on this chair. But for me, I'll call it the DVD marathon chair.

P2155421
I love this Egg Chair. I don't know why they created this weird chair, I think I saw this chair in the Men in Black movie. I tried sitting on it and I understand the purpose of this chair. When you sit on or inside the Egg chair there will be a sudden change of the noise in the environment, inside the chair, the audio outside the chair will be blocked off. Its a perfect chair if you want to have a nice quiet time or need to read a book or newspaper. The people talking can be heard, but in lesser audio quality, even if they are infront of you, the audio will be filtered.

P2155419
some kind of office chair with brown leather cover

P2155422
Union Jack chair

P2155424

P2155425

P2155426

RAR
Rar chair
I like this one too. Priced at P15k for adults and the junior size chair is around P9k.

P2155474
meet up with the store owners of About A Chair

P2155400
me inside the Egg Chair

a P2155439_stitch
view large pic
another panoramic view inside the store

The store
P2155481
About A Chair is located at 2/F 146-A Jupiter Street, Bel-Air Village, Makati City. Telephone No. +632.8907602. Store Hours are from 10:00AM – 7:00PM (Monday to Saturday) and 11:00AM – 7:00PM (Sunday).