Feast of the Black Nazareno 2019 - in photography mode



In every Feast of the Black Nazareno I always think what should I do next -- should I do photography or focus on vlogging. Last year, I put my focus on using the insta360air camera, a kind of camera that can shoot 360 degrees, I enjoyed using the camera as it captured the event in 360 degrees photo and video.


For this year, I’ve decided that I should focus in my photography, but still, I will be vlogging too. Because Im using the Fujifilm XT100 mirrorless camera from Fujifilm Philippines, and my mission is to capture the event in photos and also in video -- because the XT100 is also good for video.



But I have my insta360air camera with me, hahaha, so I took this super wide angle photo and a selfie of me with the Traslacion 2019 banner.



I arrived Quiapo late lunch time, me and friend was about to meet here, because he wants to experience the meet up with the Black Nazareno, I gave him some tips a day before of this event so that he will be prepared. But we didn’t get to meet because there’s no mobile signal in the area and its hard to meet inside Quiapo when there’s a thick crowd that will welcome you.

I carried my camera and snap some shots and some videos and good shots were included in my vlog -- check out my vlog post here in my Youtube channel:



Also the still shots are compiled here as my best shots for that day using the Fujifilm XT100
(all photos are treated with some Photoshop to adjust some colors, brightness and sharpness)



I did some snap while walking and also did the same when shooting some live footage for my vlog, I just did some panning shots while Im walking, because the entire area is busy and everyone are walking, if ever I stop walking, the people behind me will bump on me.



Walking through the thick crowd near Raon is difficult, but when I reach the front of the Quiapo church, everything is calm and everyone are there to pray and worship.



At 2pm, I was waiting for the mass, but I was waiting for 30 minutes already and mass is not yet starting, I dont know why, maybe they took a break and decided that the mass will start at 3pm.



I prayed there outside and then observed what’s going on around, I snap some photos and video too to capture the event outside the church.



After 30 minutes, I decided to walk and go straight were the Black Nazareno will arrive. A thick crowd is present again, but this time at the small street going to the Quiapo Ilalim (or bridge)



I arrived at Quiapo Ilalim, and spotted this scene, my subject is that old man sitting on the side of the bridge, but then I didn’t noticed the two teens beside him.



After taking some photos, these group of Nazareno devotees called my attention and they want a picture of them, so I snapped away and told them to find me on Facebook and Youtube



Arriving in Quiapo Ilalim, the crowd goes super thick… this is the moment that I should be prepared. I should proceed to a much safer place and avoid getting pinned down again, just like last time, and thought that I will die due to suffocation.



I stand near a Jollibee store, which has a good wall to protect me from the flow of the big crowd, I was standing there with other devotees to watch this intense arrival of the Black Nazareno




There were times that there’s a wide space opened infront of the Black Nazareno, there’s this “call” or invitation to go there and attempt to carry the rope or climb up the “Andas”, but my agenda here is to be at a safety area and document the event with my camera.



I see lots of people getting hurt, some were left fainted and was carried by medic out of the crowd, some big muscular men who are planning to climb up got chickened out and stayed where they are. Everything went fast and smooth as the Andas of the Black Nazareno went under the Quiapo Ilalim bridge.



My coverage is done, I walked out of the area safe and relaxed, and noticed that lots of people are still in worship mode.



I went home early that day, I just cant believe that I ended my visit in Quiapo as early as 4pm, the Andas moved so fast and everything is smooth for this year’s Feast of the Black Nazareno.
Praying for all our wishes be granted and have a healthy and stronger 2019!