Our first colored tv is SHARP, happy 100th anniversary to SHARP #Sharp100

I love watching TV  during my youngling years and watching those cartoons, noon time shows, movies, wrestling, and tv series made me a good boy infront of the TV, I'm always focus watching any tv show and its weird because I can still remember it. Our tv back then is a black and white TV with knobs and it has limited channels and we need to switch the knob just to capture the right frequency, one of my dream those years is to own a colored TV, so one day of 1984, after I arrived home from school, I saw this large black TV set with a brand label “SHARP” infront, and it was the happiest day of my life when my dad bought our 1st colored TV, it was a 26 inches colored TV and my 1st viewing is the wrestling show on tv and I’m so happy to discover that the wrestler – Koko B. Ware’s pet parrot is so colorful in colored TV, this changed my viewing experience and watching cartoons and betamax movies are part of our daily schedules.SHARP is the 1st electronic brand that we appreciated and we stick to the brand til the 90’s, we didn’t bought a new TV set after some years,but when we moved to a bigger house, our dad bought more TV sets and one new and small SHARP colored TV for us brothers and sisters, and then our 1st colored TV was transferred to the masters bedroom, which I later converted my parent’s room into a home theater set up using those unused car speakers and subwoffers hooked to a VHS player and Laser Disc player.


my brother and the old SHARP colored TV

I also remember that our 1st CD player is SHARP, my dad and mom always surprise us at home and I got amazed on the quality of audio from CD discs, so after that day, my dad bought me my 1st CD album – Dr. Alban and Nativity in Black: tribute to Black Sabbath album. My dad also bought that MTV unplugged with Mariah Carey and they just played it all in loop through out the night and then I got sick of it and discovered that the CD player’s radio tuner can capture MTV Asia feed, so I listen through that channel and sometimes I record the songs using the cassette tape.

There are times that our 1st colored TV showed some deterioration, maybe because of over use and parts are need to be replaced. We always bring the SHARP tv in a service center in Greenhills and I think we visited the place for 5 times already year after year whenever the TV goes black or dead. My dad wanted to revive it and not let go of it, and the old colored TV still survived until my college years. From 1984-2003, we still use the TV at home, we transferred to a new home and we moved the TV as our family TV in our living room. When my family migrated to the US, me and my sister moved to a smaller house, the TV still works around 2004, but then it retires and the screen turned black and it flickers. Me and my sis declared that we need to let go of the old TV, I know it can be repaired, but because of our limited resources and busy schedule, we don’t have the time anymore to bring it to the service center, we let the TV sleep at home til 2005, and then we donated the TV to our neighbor and told them that the TV can be fixed, we have two more TV that year and our small home can’t fit three TVs, so we need to let go the old, bigger and defective TV.

SHARP is already a part of our life, so when I got invited to a press event for SHARP last year, they released the biggest LCD TV, the 108 inch SHARP Aquos. When I saw that, It reminded me about our 1st colored TV, and since SHARP is know to have lots of “first”, one of the popular brand as a pencil sharpener and a calculator, then to electronics to LCD and now to solar technology.Here in the Philippines SHARP is the 1st to bring the twin tub washing machine and a holeless washer, SHARP innovate tech that is one of a kind. SHARP also is the 1st to develop aircons and refrigerator with “plasma cluster ions” or PCI, it’s a new tech that kills microbes and bacteria in the air. SHARP’s 70 inch Aquos debuted last CES 2011, and it was one of the highlights of the show and then SHARP releases the first ever HiFi TV that was used in IFA last September 2011 which they say it has better visual performance than those LED, I think it’s a prototype that shows that this might be the future for TV.


SHARP 100 Years
This year, September 15 2012, SHARP will celebrate its 100th anniversary, a 100 years of tech trend and build better future for our kids for the next century. SHARP organized a "My SHARP Our Future" campaign from June 7-September 15, that's a total of 100 days that SHARP will make contribution for every purchase of AQUOS TV and plasmascluster generator and air purifier. Part of the sales will be donated to support health programs like vaccinations for kids.

Anniversary Share Contest
There’s also an online activity and contest for everyone, SHARP 100 years launched the “Anniversary Share”, all you need to do is upload any photo that are related to anniversary and celebration or a photo of YOU celebrating an anniversary, you can visit SHARP 100 years anniversary website and upload your photo there.

visit : https://share.sharp100years.com/

The photo you uploaded will be included in a photo compilation for the website and into a memorable video. So better dig your hard drive or photo album and you might be the person who can win a trip to West Coast, USA or win any SHARP electronic items and products.

you can also visit their Facebook page to view the entries - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anniversary-Share-News-Sharp/444652765545082

Happy 100th anniversary to SHARP! Thanks for being part of our lives.

here's a video from SHARP