My first authentic Viking party - Crayfish Party 2018 at Sofitel Manila



Finally! I just attended an authentic Viking party and we didn’t know that a Nordic association, Nordcham Philippines, is organizing this event every year here in Sofitel Manila. We’re glad that they’ve partnered with Sofitel Manila to for this year to introduce this Nordic tradition.

Crayfish Party is celebrated every year to mark the end of summer and here in Manila they bring the tradition of crayfish eating while enjoying the party. During the preview event, they’ve invited everyone to come in wearing their Viking costumes.I wasn’t prepared that day but I just borrowed my son’s Thor bonnet and I wore that during the event.

For the main party, I didn’t got a time to produce my own costume, but I promise next year I will be in full Vikings costume attire.

Why Crayfish is most highlighted in this event?
here's a short backside story:

Generally referred as the Noble Crayfish, the gastronomic tradition of enjoying crayfish or Astacus Astacus dates back to the 16th century to the time of Swedish King Erik XIV. His highness had farmed crayfish in his moat at Kalmar Castle however it was not until the 19th
century when the tradition of eating crayfish was born.

Enjoying crayfish became popular in Scandinavia marking the end of the summer with a garden party. The party itself became part of the Scandinavian vocabulary in the 1930’s with reference variations including kräftskiva, Rapujuhlat, Krepselag, Vatnakrabbi Oarty or Krebsegilde.

It hasn’t been a smooth sailing journey for the little mudbugs as the Scandinavian flodkräftor were afflicted by the crayfish plague in 1907. A disease that nearly wiped out the species into extinction, the plague prompted the passing of a law that prohibited the fishing of crayfish year-round except during the crayfish season limited to a couple of months starting in August

Here are some more info about the Crayfish Party 2018
- Crayfish Party here in the Philippines is marking its 6th year
- Proceeds from the event will be donated to the CCV or Chosen Children Village, a foundation dedicated towards providing a home environment and a care facility for physically and mentally challenged children
- Nordic culture and tradition will be experienced at the Crayfish Party
- Nordic means its from Northern Europe and North Atlantic and this include countries - Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Greenland and Faroe Islands
- Tickets to Crayfish Party is priced at PHP 3,900 or at PHP 35,000 for a group of 10
- Sofitel Manila staycation room rates are at a discount of PHP 6,900 on the period of the Crayfish Party on September 8.
- for more info visit www.crayfishparty.ph



Great to party with the bloggies and we thank Sofitel Manila for inviting us -- thanks Dave Margot and Ms Yasmine



Here’s my Thor headgear, for this event I borrowed my son’s Thor headgear as my costume, I was supposed to bring his toy sword but its too bulky, I also borrowed his Thor hammer but Its so hard to carry another object in my hand if ever Im carrying a camera on the other hand.

Its a crayfish feast in every table. There’s a platter of crayfish and San Miguel Beer dispenser  for everyone.



I like the crayfish for this month, the last time was so salty. Im glad that they’ve adjusted based on our reviews. Crayfish are so tasty, its more tastier than crab meat and prawns meat. They are packed with lots of crayfish meat, its tasty and served chilled.



Lucky winners of the Viking costume contest. I think next year the costume contest will be more competitive..it means that everyone will be ready.






Our non stop feasting on crayfish and beers.






Nordcham Philippines is targeting for only 500 visitors, but this year, the audience went double and it was a full house at the Harbor Tent of Sofitel Manila.  Congrats to Nordcham and Sofitel.
Part of the entrance fee will donated to their charity beneficiary, and also the winning prize for the auction will be donated in full also.



We got tired in removing the crayfish shell. But we let Jeman do the “himay himay”, parang he just feeding us foodies sa table haha.





Crayfish and beer -- the best pair ever!!!









At the Crayfish Party, we enjoyed authentic Nordic dishes. I really like that pie with mushrooms. Its heavy and I ate it just like my rice.



For me the holy grail of the event is the LECHON!!!!!  
Wow! The staff just gave me a large chunk of that crispy lechon skin… wow!! It was a heavenly feeling.. Why is is that Sofitel Manila;s lechon is so tasty!!  I wonder who is their supplier.




John Bueno….taking some bite of my lechon skin haul




The event is like the Oktoberfest, but far more different, but I was expecting to experience more Viking-ness, but wearing the costume is much more fun, but few people only got a time to wear the costume.



Since beer is one of the highlights here, they’ve organized a beer drinking contest. And wow!! I just saw again the reigning beer drinker champion -- yup she’s the one wearing black -- doing a bottoms up.

She just finished one pint of beer in less than 5 sec. I dont know how she do that.



Men in the beer drinking contest




No Im not joining the beer drinking contest hahaha.
John passed me that shot glass with vodka or some kind of a strong alcohol. Its part of the Nordic tradition to drink a shot glass of alcohol right after singing the HELAN GAR SONG.



The Bloomfields played live music that night, As expected, they’ve played lots of Beatles song and lots of music from the 70s.






The Crayfish Party people didn’t stop in dancing and it was a 2 set performance of The Bloomfields that gave more energy at the ground of the tent.




It was fun and crazy...here’s Jeman and Myke Soon doing some sexy dance hahahah



Me dancing with Margot…. Yay!



Wow!! The way of the Vikings to party is so fun!
Im excited for next year and maybe I can wear a full costume.

Thanks for reading my blog post. Feel free to comment if you want to join with us next year at the Crayfish Party 2019 Manila!